Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Green screen after adding new drive...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Green screen after adding new drive...

Here is my situation:

TiVo Model: TCD540040

I had upgrade from the original single 40GB to a single 300GB a couple years back when I first got this.

I recently started getting close to full with all the shows I was keeping so decided to buy another drive to add on. I purchased a 320GB drive as well as the Weaknees cooling/powerstep kit.

I followed all the instructions to the tee and only used the following command:

mfsadd -x /dev/hda /dev/hdb
    (with hda being my drive from my tivo and hdb being the new drive)

I then popped everything back in the TiVo and power it up only to get:
    Welcome screen,
    Few more minutes screen,
    Green screen for about 15 seconds and then it reboots and repeats this process over and over.

Where did I go wrong and is there anything I can do to resolve this? The mfsadd command reported back that I now had 700+ hours available and everything seemed to add up and check out ok. Please help!

Have you checked the jumpers on the drives? You could have them set wrong...

Comment

With a 320 GB drive, you needed a "-r 4" in the mfsadd step. Without that in the code, you don't have a large enough block size for that size drive.

At this point, you may need a reformat unless you have a backup image. If you want us to reformat the drive, go here.
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
        With a 320 GB drive, you needed a "-r 4" in the mfsadd step. Without that in the code, you don't have a large enough block size for that size drive.

At this point, you may need a reformat unless you have a backup image. If you want us to reformat the drive, go here.
        Wonderful... Wish that would have been mentioned in the guide I used:
        http://www.weaknees.com/diy-upgrade.php

And that guide also didn't explain how to make a backup... my fault for not searching around some more but come on... why is that page even still up?

That was the guide I found when I searched your site... didn't find the interactive one until after the problem had happened (which has the correct command).

So there really is no way to fix this now? I'd really like to not lose my 300GB worth of shows... but I'd rather just get the damn thing working at this point.

I'm not that far from you guys (right near Malibu) so would I be able to bring everything over and have you take care of it for me (for perhaps a discounted price due to the guide mixup)?

Comment

Sorry about that. We'll fix that page. That's pretty ancient. How did you even find it? Current info is here:

http://www.upgrade-instructions.com

If you want to order the service and drop off the unit, just pre-order online. We can try to reformat within a few hours.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
            Sorry about that. We'll fix that page. That's pretty ancient. How did you even find it? Current info is here:

http://www.upgrade-instructions.com

If you want to order the service and drop off the unit, just pre-order online. We can try to reformat within a few hours.
            I was using the search feature on your page, can't remember what I put in there.

It's all good though, I was able to get it fixed with MFSLive.
            Divorced the drives and then readded the correct way. Booted up to a GSOD which stayed for about 5-10 minutes and then reset. Loaded up again and bam, working perfectly with 710 hrs and all my recordings still intact.

Comment

Excellent - glad to hear it!

Comment

Working...
              X