649080 and Comcast decoder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 649080 and Comcast decoder

Hi, I'm trying to hook up a TiVo S2-DT to an old CRT TV with input from a Comcast cable box (we have two, this is the bigger HD-capable one). Having some trouble. I've never used a TiVo from a digital box before.

After some adventures with Comcast (I think the box wasn't activated) I ended up with this situation:

-- The TiVo worked (and works) okay without the cable box, but I only get channels 2-25. This is expected, I believe those are the only analogue cable channels left. I've got both coax and composite outputs running from TiVo to TV, and picture comes through on both (better on the composite of course).

-- The Comcast box worked okay without the TiVo, I had the coax going in and then both coax and composite going out. (This was the setup when I was troubleshooting with Comcast, since even this didn't work before I called them).

-- I do not get a picture when I have the coax going into the Comcast box, then either coax or composite going into the TiVo, then either composite or coax going into the TV.

On the TV, I get snow on most channels, but on channel 3 I get a blank screen and "mono" and on AV-front I get a blank screen and "stereo", so I assume the TiVo is putting something out.

When I hooked both coax and composite going from Comcast to TiVo, the latter asked which input to use (it detected something on both) but neither gave a result.

At this point I was only asking the TiVo to be single-tuner, I didn't want to introduce a splitter etc. for dual-tuner capability (I can actually live with ST for now). And I tried changing the channel using the Comcast remote.

Am I doing this right? Is there something else I need to do? I know the Comcast box is outputting analogue signals but I'm wondering if there's something I should set on the TiVo.

BTW, we also have a very small Comcast digital tuner (only coax in and out) and the TiVo worked with that (controlling through IR), but it jumped from ch163 to ch173 (when using the TiVo IR cable) and I really want ch169, not to mention there are probably other channels too. I haven't called Comcast to find out where ch169 disappeared on that box.

Thanks!
    =aw

You should go composite from cable box to TiVo and from TiVo to TV. Then re-run guided setup on the Tivo and don't go past any step unless it's working. (Don't pass through channel changing unless it's 100% working and don't go past "do you get video"? unless you actually do.)

Comment

Thanks Jeff, I will try that. I only had 1 composite cable so I was trying different combinations of composite and coax. But ignoring picture quality, shouldn't my setup have worked? Either

(wall -> Comcast -> Tivo => TV) or (wall -> Comcast -> TiVo -> TV) or (wall -> Comcast => Tivo -> TV)

where -> is coax and => is composite?

I did in fact stop at "I'm not seeing video" though I think at one point the TiVo Guided Setup suggests using the cable remote to change to a channel I know I get (I tried both a low number and 169 on the cable box, both of which I could get when this cable box was connected directly to this TV).

I have more cables now so I'll give them a try and report back.

=aw

Comment

One of those should have worked, yes, as long as the TiVo knew what to look for, and in the case of coax, was set to the right channel.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Hmm, maybe I didn't set the TiVo to channel 3 or 4? That could be the cause with coax into the TiVo right? But when I chose composite (when i had both connections running Comcast-TiVo, it detected a signal on both inputs) channel doesn't matter?

Guess I've got some cabling to do tomorrow. It's annoying because we're getting enough channels with 2-25, except we need 169 (TCM ).

Thanks again!
          =aw

Comment

Right - with composite, channel doesn't matter.

Did you see video in the background?
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I got busy and haven't been able to re-try to hookups yet, but when I was doing it before, no there was no video. I told the TiVo that and it said to try changing to a station on the Comcast box that I knew worked, I tried that too and still got a blank screen (but blank, not just snow).

Hoping to get working on this over the weekend. Thanks for your help so far.

=aw

Comment

Working...
              X