Series 2 won't start, Hard Drive vs. Power Supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 2 won't start, Hard Drive vs. Power Supply

Hi, I've searched the forums and I've found similar problems and solutions but nothing specific to my models. I have a TiVo Series 2 TCD24008A and a Series 2 Dual Tuner TCD649080. Both have replacement hard drives that are larger than the original drive. Recently the TiVo Series 2 TCD24008A stopped working. There was some bad clicking sounds, I figured it was the hard drive, but after reading many posts I suspect the power supply.

The TiVo Series 2 TCD24008A came with the original hard drive, so I put it in and I keep getting stuck on the very first, "Just a Moment" screen and nothing ever happens. I just figured the original drive had been sitting so long it might have went bad.

So, I opened up the Series 2 Dual Tuner TCD649080 and put the Seagate 400GB Barracuda 7200RPM drive in the TCD24008A. I still couldn't get past the "Just a Moment" Screen.

Can the TCD24008A handle this 400GB drive? Is that why I couldn't get it to start?

Then I started reading the forums and I figured it might be the power supply. I tested the voltage to the hard drive and it's fine. I read 5.0 V on the red wire to black and I read 11.6 V on the yellow wire to black.

I cannot notice any visible damage on the power supply. I wanted to swap the power supply from the Series 2 Dual Tuner TCD649080 to the TCD24008A, just to verify that the power supply is bad, but I am afraid to do more damage. It looks like I could test it this way, but they are listed as different power supplies.

Is there any way that I can find out about the power supply's condition besides buying a power supply? I'm trying not to throw any money away and get stuck with a broken TiVo and a good power supply that I don't need?

Nope - one of those can't use the drives from the other. The TiVo OS is not interchangeable between those two models.

The power supplies there also cannot be swapped.

This sounds like a bad drive to me. I'd try that first:

http://www.weaknees.com/tv8a.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I think it's the hard drive, and something else

I realized after I posted, there was one more thing that I did not check. I put the original HD from the Series 2 single tuner TCD24008A in the Series 2 DT TCD649080. I got to the programming screen pretty quickly. So I assume the original 80 GB drive that's been sitting on the shelf is okay. Now I think it's the power supply. The replacement 160 GB drive that was in the single tuner unit is not working with either tivo.

Comment

Are you sure the drive was from that unit? As far as I know, a 240 drive won't boot at all in a 649 unit.

I think that drive may have been from the 649 unit.

And the 160 sounds bad.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X