Can't marry MyDVR Expander to Premiere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't marry MyDVR Expander to Premiere

I'm setting up a replacement TiVo Premiere (the old one stopped powering up). The Western Digital MyDVR Expander I was using with the old Premiere doesn't want to work with the replacement Premiere for some reason.

After powering down the replacement Premiere, which was working fine in other respects, I powered down the Expander, removed the eSATA cable at both ends, put both ends back in their respective connectors, waited 30 sec., then powered the Expander up again. I then powered up the Premiere, and it went through its usual startup process.

This was after I had completed the original Guided Setup. During that original Guided Setup I had gotten a message on the TV screen asking if I wanted to set up to use the Expander, since at that time I already had the Expander plugged into the eSATA port on the TiVo and powered up. I told it to go ahead and set up the Expander, but instead of the expected result, I got a screen: " ... the attached external storage device is capable of increasing the storage capacity of your Tivo. But first, you must enable this feature. ... Press SELECT to go back."

Enable it?!? Huh?

On that same screen it had pointed me to www.tivo.com/expand, but that page was no help in showing me how to "enable" the Expander in this situation.

I tried drilling down to the External Storage menu item on the Premiere, but just got the same weird "first, you must enable this feature" screen.

I've tried every combination I could think of to un-marry and then marry the Expander again, but I can get no further. The Premiere "knows" an Expander is attached, it's clear, but only the internal drive is actually being used.

I ran the Kickstart 54 procedure and tested both drives, and the external drive does seem to be OK (as is the internal drive).

My best guess is that the Expander's residual content at this time is such that (for some reason) the replacement Premiere doesn't want to marry the Expander to its internal storage — and that's why I am repeatedly getting the "first, you must enable" message.

I would try reformatting the Expander, except that I do not have a computer with the requisite eSATA port. My two computers are Macs, and Macs do not support eSATA.

Can anyone advise me as to some other magic elixir that will get my Expander and my Premiere married properly?

Thanks in advance!

Is the drive in the Premiere the original drive, or an upgraded drive?

If it is, this should work. But maybe your Expander is bad. We've seen tons of failures with those - we suspect it's because WD's case has no internal fan.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X