TiVo HD XL Doesn't Recognize Cable Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TiVo HD XL Doesn't Recognize Cable Card

I have a TiVo HD XL that was first put in service on 12/10/08, about 3.5 years ago. I has worked flawlessly until this last week when I asked it to go to Live TV and got a grey screen. Followed troubleshooting sequence and it identified the problem as not having a cable card installed. But the cable card was installed in slot 1. Unplugged TiVo for a hard restart; redid guilded setup. No avail. Said there was no card. Comcast tech came out. He installed a new card and it, too, was not recognized so he reinstalled original card. Next, left unit with power cord disconnected for a couple of hours and then plugged in and did a guilded set up. BINGO, now it said the card was there. Unit then worked ok a couple of days and now the same problem reoccurred - it says there is no card. Called TiVo and they walked me through a series of checks and ended up concluding the unit probably has an internal defect that causes it to not see the card installed.

Anyone have any suggestions on my options?

You might want to check your power supply. See:

http://www.weaknees.com/bps

Comment

When I had the cover off I found nothing that hinted of a power supply problem. One point I failed to stress is that during the times that it would not recognize the cable card, the unit functions perfectly in all respects except for having a grey screen when trying to watch live TV. The unit continues to work fine since spraying contact cleaner into the connector holes on the car. I also sprayed a small amount on the battery contact clips before putting in the new battery.

I remain curious about what that CR2032 battery does. It is there simply to supply a reference voltage and is not called upon to put out any current?

How often should the battery be replaced? What are the symptoms if a battery does need replacing?

Thanks for any help and info.

Comment

Not really sure what the battery does, but I've never seen a bad one be the source of any problem . . .
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X