SA S2 constantly rebooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SA S2 constantly rebooting

I got the same problem with 2 different models after replacing the drives.
    TDC240040 and TDC540080 both died with hard drive problems. Replacing them with a WD1500EARS and a Seagate ST31500640AS one in each Tivo. I did the magic with WinMFS and it got expended fine too. After installing them, doing a clean & erase everything , connecting to server, downloading programming, they started to constantly reboot. Everything seems to work OK, except the rebooting. It can call in wireless connection, and sometimes it has time to complete the loading before it reboots again. I did the Kickstart 57, 58, 54, but nothing helped. The only thing I don't understend is when it checks the SMART deal it says it passed, but when I check the hda SMART thing it fails.
    I'm reading forums but can't find anything. The voltages going rto the drive are stable 5 and 12 VDC. I couldn't find any voltage readings for the MB. I did diagnostics on both drive with the manufactorers disks and no problems.
    I hope some smart folks out there can help me out.

Problem is, those units can't use a drive larger than 1 TB. I think that accounts for most of the issues.

I don't understand what SMART test fails. You say the TiVo says it passed, but then it fails. So what is reporting the failure?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      Problem is, those units can't use a drive larger than 1 TB. I think that accounts for most of the issues.

I don't understand what SMART test fails. You say the TiVo says it passed, but then it fails. So what is reporting the failure?
      The size shouldn't make any difference, because the PC Win XP, WinMFS and the Tivo itself recognizes the size. On the WD it says upto 1949 hrs., so I don't think it should be a problem. One of the Kickstart checks reported on the SMART deal. I think it's either 54 or 58. I have to do them again to be sure. Thanks fort your help. I ordered a couple of Adapters I read about @ Tivi community forum, just in case.

P.S. In WinMSF when I did the MFSadd it asked if I wanted to keep it @ 1TB or not. I did not. Maybe I should re-do it and see what happens. But that's lot of work. The setting up the Tivo, not the WinMFS.
      Last edited by antalo; 08-13-2012, 11:36 AM. Reason: Added info

Comment

I promise you, the size is the problem here.

All versions of the TiVo OS have had maximum single partition sizes. Even the newest units can't use the 3 TB drives that are out.

Comment

I promise you, the size is the problem here.

All versions of the TiVo OS have had maximum single partition sizes. Even the newest units can't use the 3 TB drives that are out.
          You are right, the size was the problem. I re-done everything but limited the size to 1 TB and both drives are humming along right now.

Thanks for your help !

I got another TDC240 which wont boot at all. The left lights are flickering mostly orange. Occasional green. No video at all. Power to the hd is 5 VDC and 11.8 VDC. I don't see any visual problem. Re seated and cleaned with alcohol the white ribbon cable from PS to MB. No change. Any ideas ?
          Thank You ! !

Comment

Sounds like a bad power supply or bad motherboard.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
              Sounds like a bad power supply or bad motherboard.
              Well, it's not the power supply and it's not the display. I have another 240 and first I swapped the power supply, than put the MB into the other box and it still does the same. The study green lights is now flickering orange. Since this one has a lifetime service, would it be worth getting it fixed ? Can you guys fix it ? Thank you !

Comment

Yup - we can fix it:

http://www.weaknees.com/tff

Comment

Yup - we can fix it:

http://www.weaknees.com/tff
                  DO you actually find out what's wrong with it, or you transfer the cryto chip to another MB ? I'm talking about the TDC240 with a flickering left front light .

Could I just send in the board ? But I guess you would need the complete set to make sure everything is working right. Oh well, UPS has to make a living too.

Comment

We fix the TiVo. Yes, we'd need the entire TiVo to repair it.

Comment

Working...
                    X