Tivo HD rebooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo HD rebooting

The other day I was in a hurry after work and carelessly kicked off my workboot which flew and hit the tivo box. Since then I have the classic dead hard drive symptoms, if I am watching a recording it will self pause with no ability to control the tivo with the remote, then it reboots. Also, I had a recorded show paused for few minutes when suddenly it rebooted as well. I am currently running kickstart 54 and have passed the first 3 tests, it is running extended test now.
    Did I bump something loose inside the tivo? Or did the harddrive "needle scratch across the record" and now I have a corrupt drive?
    Should I take apart the unit and see if connector came loose?
    I will also look at the capacitors when the box is open, but I looked at the pictures of bad capacitors on this site and I only see 1 picture that shows a bad capacitor the other two I dont see whats being shown, is it the white foam stuff I see? Thx in advance all

It does sound like a bad drive. Most likely, the drive head hit the surface of the platter during the vibration.

Definitely check your capacitors also. The pictures only show one bad cap each:

http://www.weaknees.com/bps
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

UPDATE: I formatted the drive, then used instantcake and re-imaged the drive, I was depressed when all I got was grey screen after the power up screen. I left the box unplugged for a few days and on a whim I plugged it back in, BAM, it booted up normal and walked me thru guided set-up, I was able to get the software to update to 11 from 9.2 I have used the tivo in the same manner as when it began rebooting on me, IE pause live tv and wait, or pause a recorded show and wait. I left the tivo on pause while at work today and it was still paused when I got home. So just as I was about to brag I noticed one small issue. My 320GIG drive shows 21 hours HD record capacity. It should be 80ish hours I thought, I know for a fact I didnt double the hard drive from stock(I did the upgrade 4 years ago to 320GB from 160GB) and get 1 hour LOL.
      I have searched myself BLUE in the face trying to find a solution to incorrect capacity. I cannot figure out what my next step is.

Comment

Should really be about 40 hours.

In any event, that sounds like an issue with the software you used. Did you choose an expansion option?
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I used the same software and did the process again. This time I show 44 hours, which is what it should be. I will wait a few weeks before tooting my horn LOL.

Comment

How do you do software updates?

I thought TiVo did them automatically when you connected?
            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dmkagey View Post
              I thought TiVo did them automatically when you connected?
              Thanks
              This is true for all TiVo units without DIRECTV built in.

Comment

Working...
              X