TiVo storage space issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TiVo storage space issues

I have a TiVo Premiere HD DVR Model TCD746320 hooked up only to an OTA antenna (no cable or cable cards). A couple of weeks ago it started deleting programs due to "space needed" even though the capacity meter was only at about 40%. It even deleted everything out of the "recently deleted" folder. In the past I've had it as high as 80% with no problems. It has now gotten to the point where there are no shows in recently deleted and it will not keep any shows in the now playing list, they are all deleted shortly after being recorded.

I have cleared program & recording data, restarted it through the menu, restarted it by pulling the plug and it continues to be an issue. I have not had any issues that would indicate a hard drive problem. It does not randomly reboot, it does not get stuck at the welcome screen, it does not freeze during shows, the 30 min buffer works perfectly on both tuners, all menus work, it connects to the update service successfully via wired Ethernet, and I can stream videos from my PC using the 'Stream, Baby, Stream' interface without any issues. This is all leading me to believe it is a software issue but I am not sure how to troubleshoot this problem any further. I need help!

I'd suggest "clear and delete everything"...you might first try the kickstart 54 drive test:

www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the suggestion. I am doing the kickstart 54 now. I chose the first option for the SMART test, is that the best one to do? So far the first three items are pass. It is now on the fourth one (extended test) at 10% done. I will report back here once the SMART test is completed.

Comment

The SMART test completed, all of them said passed. Do I need to do any of the other tests or should I do the "clear and delete everything" option? Do you think this sounds like a hard drive failure or something else?

Comment

We really recommend the Extended tests. Either way - try that or the clear and delete.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I wasn't able to run the overnight test, kept failing saying /dev/hdb not found, but I dont have any external hard drives hooked up so I'm not sure why it didnt work. So I went ahead with the clear and delete everything. So far it seems to be holding the recordings ok so I'm hoping that resolved the issue. If that did fix it, do you know what the problem was that would cause the problems? Just seems a little weird. Thanks for your help! I'll monitor it over the weekend and see if it has any more issues.

Comment

Guide data does get corrupted from time to time, and when that happens, the results can be a little strange, like the ones you reported.

Clearing it forces a fresh download and rebuild.

Comment

Interesting. Good to know. I'm very glad my hard drive doesnt need to be replaced, that is a huge relief. Thanks for your help!

Comment

I'm having the same problem with my Tivo (same model also) but haven't done the "clear and delete everything because I have a cable card in mine. I didn't want to have to have the cable company come out and re-pair it to the tivo. Which option actually worked for you? I called support and they think it's my hard drive or motherboard.

Comment

In most cases these days, the CableCARD will re-pair with the unit automatically. Some older systems still require you to call the cable company, but most just do it on the fly.

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I'm doing a "Clear and Delete Everything". When it finishes, I will post here if it solved my problem and if I had to call my cable company to re-pair my Tivo (hopefully I won't have too).

Comment

After countless hours of troubleshooting myself and with Tivo support, I think my Tivo is recording normally now. It took me using the "Clear and Delete Everything" method to get it to work. Just in case anyone else has this problem, I have charter communications for my cable and I did not have to re-pair my Tivo after completing this step (I'm sure the Tivo probably did it for me, but I didn't have to call the cable company). My Tivo would delete anything I recorded shortly after recording it. If it was a 1 hour show, it would stop recording about 40 minutes into it. Hope this helps someone!

Comment

Great - glad it's working!

Just to be clear, each local cable infrastructure could use newer or older equipment, so just because you did well with Charter in your area doesn't necessarily mean all Charter installations are as current, unfortunately.

Thanks for posting!

Comment

Working...
                          X