Installed a new Power Supply on my Series 3 HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed a new Power Supply on my Series 3 HD

I never could get the TiVo to reboot after the install. First it kept asking for the external HDD even though it was plugged in. Then when I disconnected it and told it not to use the external it stayed stuck on the screen that says it is removing the external storage device. It has been there over two hours. How long should that step take and what will happen if I unplug the Tivo?

Pretty strange - sounds like a bad hard drive. I'd try a kickstart 54 and see what you get:

http://www.weaknees.com/54
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Hey everyone. I have two Tivo Series 2 model numbers TCD24008A and TCD240080. The power supply finally went bad on the TCD24008A a couple of weeks ago and I bought a replacement power supply on e-bay. The replacement power supply worked just fine bringing renewed life to my TCD24008A Tivo. For future replacement of the power supply I ordered another used power supply through e-bay to keep in moth balls until needed. The only problem is that the “spare” I received while advertised on e-bay as a replacment power supply for Tivo Series 2 models TCD240080 and TCD24008A looks different than the bad one that I replaced in the TCD24008A one that was replaced. By different I mean some of the components are the same but others are different on the power supply circuit board. The spare one also had been written on with a sharpie pen“TCD540040”. The specifics are the first replacement power supply had a printed label with the following “SPWR-00004-000 REV A1”. The spare new(er) replacment power supply had a printed label with the following “SPWR-00004-001 REV A3”. I have read several posts on either the Tivo community forum or the weaknees forum from a couple of years or so ago that said that the TCD540040 power supplies can be used in the TCD24008X Series 2 Tivos. I’m just a little scared as I want to install the TCD540040 power supply SPWR-00004-001 REV A3 into my TCD24008A unit to make sure that the power supply is good and moth ball the SPWR-00004-000 REV A1 as my “I know it works” spare. Weaknees shows two different power supplies one for TCD24008X and another for TCD5400XX. Just want more reassurance from some of you more experienced folks (my experts) that I won’t blow the mother board or hard drive on my TCD24008A by installing my new(er) spare power supply. Thanks in advance for your time both reading this rather lengthy post as well as your time to reply. You folks are my Tivo heroes!

Comment

Those two are fully compatible with each other, both directions.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X