Weaknees boot CD: "No CD-ROM found"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weaknees boot CD: "No CD-ROM found"

I'm following your very nice instructions to replace a drive on my Toshiba SD-H400, and using your weaknees_lba_boot_cd.iso.

It seems to boot up ok, to the point it says this and ends:
    "Welcome to the rescue disk
    "Trying to mount the CD-ROM, try 1
    Trying to mount the CD-ROM, try 2
    Trying to mount the CD-ROM, try 3
    Trying to mount the CD-ROM, try 4
    Trying to mount the CD-ROM, try 5
    No CD-ROM found.
    sh-2.05b#"

When I Shift-Page up, I don't see any hdx's.

My setup is a Windows Vista 32 quad core with two SATA hard drives and a CD/DVD drive, and the TiVo drives on a PATA ribbon cable on an aftermarket PCI card.

I've tried:
    Two separate CD burns of the iso, using Roxio and Burn Away. Same results.

Entering the computer's boot menu and ensuring boot starts at CD-ROM. Same results.

Disconnecting the SATA cable to the C: drive. Same results.

Burning and booting with a straight MFSTools 2.0 CD, but Shift-Page up didn't show any hdx, and I didn't know what to do once I got a prompt.

(Incidental: With the two TiVo (original and destination) drives attached, my PC won't boot normally. I have to remove the PATA drives (or maybe just the master?) to get normal C: boot.)

Anything obvious I'm doing wrong?
    Last edited by jjt2me; 07-26-2013, 11:29 AM. Reason: Redid my setup and removed previous edit.

For anyone who read the above post before now, apologies for the interim edits. I had originally claimed I removed the SATA cable to my C: drive and nothing happened. Well, it was the cable to my CD/DVD drive, so sure, nothing happened. I corrected that, and the results in the above post.

Comment

I'm pretty sure your problem is that our CD doesn't contain the drive for your aftermarket PCI card.
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
        I'm pretty sure your problem is that our CD doesn't contain the drive for your aftermarket PCI card.
        Thanks for your quick reply. Much appreciated.

I couldn't get this to work with WinMFS, either. I was able to do backups with WinMFS, but it always fails on restore ("GUI Tools ... has stopped working"). That's using two different PATA destination drives, each tried multiple times on two different Vista PCs, using a PCI card PATA and a USB-PATA adapter).

The problem might be due to the original drive failing (got an I/O error on the Kickstart 54 overnight test, and the most it ran in the TiVo is ~1.5 hours [just got this from eBay]). But why were the backups "successful"?

Even if I had a PCI card that your CD would support, I think it might not be possible to view the HDx information, because the HDx info may be among the stuff that scrolls off the screen during boot (I tried CNTL-S to stop it, no luck). My PC may just be too loaded for the scrolling print buffer.

Unless you have any other suggestions, I'm tapped out.

These various copy techniques seem to need PC hardware circa 2005. Why oh why did I throw out that 667 MHz desktop seven years ago?

Comment

Ha! Yeah. Every now and then, an archaic piece of technology really does come in handy.

If your original drive was failing tests, it's definitely possible that you can't get a good image from it. I don't use WinMFS so I don't know what that might show under the possible circumstances.

If you have lifetime service on the TiVo, I'd just get a pre-programmed drive from us:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-upgrade.php
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
            If you have lifetime service on the TiVo, I'd just get a pre-programmed drive from us:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-upgrade.php
            Which is what I did. Thanks for your help, I'm up and running now.

Comment

Working...
            X