S3 help. Now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S3 help. Now what?

Earlier this year I replaced my my S3 with a new XL4 because the S3 was acting up. It started rebooting constantly until I removed the cards. At the time I suspected that it ate the cards again as I've had happen many times through it's life. A new shipment of cards didn't solve the issue and that's when I initially found out about the two common options.

I had a spare drive on hand so I tried a block copy of the original disk, but that didn't help so my assumption was a PS issue (hadn't looked at the details enough to know to look for the bulged caps). I decided to upgrade to the XL4 and in the process they gave me a great deal on the lifetime sub for the old S3 so I went ahead and did that figuring I'd fix it later for some use or another.

I finally came up with a use for it and read up on the issue a few weeks ago and sure enough about half my caps were bulged. Reading up and looking at the price of the WK replacement I decided I'd try to replace the caps myself since that ran $15 (for all the caps) and my soldering skills are up to that basic of a task.

I got it all apart and put back together, but now it freezes at the Powering Up screen. Accepting that I may have screwed something up I still figured I'd try the HDD again. Again I tried doing a block copy and when that didn't help I also used MFS Live to rebuild my spare from a backup, but still stuck at Powering Up.

So I ordered the WK power supply and just installed it, but after swapping the power supplies and even trying the spare disk with the new PS I still get stuck at powering up.

So what's next in trying to breath life back into it?

Thanks,
    -dave

Usually, being stuck there is a hard drive problem.

What OS did you put on the drive? If it was the one from the original disk again, that sounds like it may have had a corrupt copy.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Is there an easy way for me to get the version info?

The block copies were done with a disk duplicator, but the MFS Live restore was done with an image I found on TC that others with a 250B seemed to have success with. It has 648250b in it's file name if that means anything.

Comment

Working...
      X