Hughes DVR40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hughes DVR40

I have a Hughes DVR40 (HDVR2) running software build 6.4a-01-2-151 and am hoping I can get some quick suggestions. It has what is likely a couple different problems. I've done some quick searching both here and outside here and haven't found help.

I believe the second tuner is dying. I occasionally get a "Searching for signal" only on the second tuner. Shows recorded from that tuner are also pixellated more and more now. I watched a recorded show and the pixellation occurs in the same spot(s) if I go back and watch it again, so that tells me it was recorded that way. Is it possible for me to replace the tuner myself?

Second...

I also think the hard drive has issues. Every couple days now when I turn on the TV, the screen is black and I have no control over anything. I do a hard reboot, which does not always work. Sometimes it gets stuck on the "Welcome Powering Up" screen. In addition, that screen is wildly garbled and you can barely make out the text. Maybe one time in ten it gets past that to start acquiring satellite information. I have attempted to run the 54, 57 and 58 tests to no avail. I never get a GSOD or any other indication the test is running or completed. Is there any other way to initiate those tests? Can I remove the drive, connect it up to my PC and run them?

I replaced the hard drive a few years ago and used InstantCake to build the new one. If I have to replace the drive now, I will need to ghost the existing one to a new drive. I no longer have a land line in the house and have not bothered to set up a wireless access point for the DVRs (I have another DVR40 I upgraded to DVR80 and it works fine on both satellites).

I would prefer to repair this DVR as it is an older one that I own outright (prior to DTV leasing them all only). I do not want to get a new DVR and incur a multi-year contract. I am a Software Developer and Systems Engineer. I am more than comfortable in Linux and have SysAdmin experience in both Windows and Linux as well. Any help to get me going in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Reg

That does sound like a bad drive and a bad tuner. We can fix both as part of our flat fee repair option:

http://www.weaknees.com/tff

Upon request with this repair, we can also perform the initial dial-in here so you won't need a land line.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X