Reconnecting an external hardrive to another Tivo box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reconnecting an external hardrive to another Tivo box

If I disconnect a dvr external hardrive (My Book) from one Tivo Premiere box and re-connect it to another Tivo Premiere box, will I definitely lose the recorded tv shows?

Yes, absolutely.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Even if they both have the same Media Access Key?

What keeps it from deleting everything if the external drive accidentally gets disconnected from the Tivo?

Comment

Nothing gets deleted if you power down the external. Only when you connect it to another TiVo does the content get lost.

Comment

Sorry for not understanding, but how do I"power down the external?" Also, if I do that, I can't connect it to another TiVo anyway as I lose the content, correct? So is there any other way to maintain the external's content and re-use the external on another TiVo box? I have been transferring the external's content on TiVo desktop, but it is literally taking days; very, very slow process. Is there some way to speed up the process? When complete, I intend to transfer it to a new box with the old, now empty re-formatted external. Is that the only way to do this? The reason for this is that it seems that my Premiere XL is no good; I am getting a pixilated picture on live tv. It is not a wiring or cable connection problem. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by HEGILBERTATTY View Post
            I have been transferring the external's content on TiVo desktop, but it is literally taking days; very, very slow process.
            Are you using a cat5e cable ?
            The (11g) wireless adapters are slow, but ethernet's fairly fast, in my experience... 20 GB per hour or so. 100Mb ethernet should be able to go faster, but there's not much tweaking it that I'm aware of... besides maybe adding a USB gigabit adapter (haven't tried that, so I'm not sure it would work).
            Last edited by Darr247; 02-04-2014, 08:42 PM. Reason: added (11g)

Comment

Originally posted by HEGILBERTATTY View Post
              Sorry for not understanding, but how do I"power down the external?" Also, if I do that, I can't connect it to another TiVo anyway as I lose the content, correct? So is there any other way to maintain the external's content and re-use the external on another TiVo box? I have been transferring the external's content on TiVo desktop, but it is literally taking days; very, very slow process. Is there some way to speed up the process? When complete, I intend to transfer it to a new box with the old, now empty re-formatted external. Is that the only way to do this? The reason for this is that it seems that my Premiere XL is no good; I am getting a pixilated picture on live tv. It is not a wiring or cable connection problem. Any ideas?
              How do you know where any show is located? Really, parts of any recording are on both drives, so once you un-pair the drives, any show that is partially on both is lost, and any show completely on the external is lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Darr247 View Post
                Are you using a cat5e cable ?
                The (11g) wireless adapters are slow, but ethernet's fairly fast, in my experience... 20 GB per hour or so. 100Mb ethernet should be able to go faster, but there's not much tweaking it that I'm aware of... besides maybe adding a USB gigabit adapter (haven't tried that, so I'm not sure it would work).
                I think the first TiVo with a Gigabit port was the Premiere Elite/XL4. But you're certainly right - wired ethernet is much faster than Wifi.

Comment

Working...
                X