Replaced Hard Drive and Can't Phone Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaced Hard Drive and Can't Phone Home

I replaced the hard drive in my DirecTV R10 receiver. It booted up okay, but I can't make the phone call to activate the TIVO. It's the part where it asks for your area code so it can get a list of local phone numbers. The Preparing step works, the Dialing step works, the Connecting step fails. The same thing happens if I perform a generic phone call test. I plugged the phone line into a telephone and there is a dial tone.

I went through this a few days ago before I ordered the new drive. I reset the receiver original hard drive back to square one and performed the guided setup. The phone calls worked just fine.

Try slowing the connection down with this dialing prefix:

,#096,,

That's:

pause - enter - 096 - pause - pause

That makes the modem operate at 9600 baud which can help make the connection work.

Are you using a standard phone line or a VoIP or digital line?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I solved the phone connection problem by reauthorizing the receiver on the DirecTV website. I watched TV all morning without problem. So I selected 4 hours of programs to record. So far the receiver has froze up once and rebooted by itself once. This is the same problem that led me to replace the drive. I'm going to wait and see if the problem continues. If it does, I would like to return the disk drive because it didn't solve my problem.

Oops, the receiver just rebooted again. Can I have an RMA?

Mikey

Comment

There's a known issue with R10s rebooting right now. Sounds like it's on DIRECTV's end.

If you'd like an RMA, please email us at [email protected].

Comment

I have 2 R10 receivers and only one of them is messing up.
          I have seen the software issues before and they affected both the receivers.
          I just talked to a guy at DirecTV. They are pushing their Genie receivers and I don't have an HD TV, but would have to pay the HD fee anyway.
          I love TIVO!
          Got an old Philips DSR6000 of a shelf and hooked it up. It seems to be working fine.
          It looks like one has to keep his R10s going if one wants TIVO. Are used receivers available?

The problem receiver only seems to freeze and reboot if I try to record something. It works fine unless I try to record. Any ideas what might be the problem? Given I can't get a suitable replacement from DirecTV, could I send the receiver to weaKnees for repair?

Comment

This really isn't a problem we think we can fix at this point - we're pretty sure it's really on DTV's end.

As far as why one is working and one isn't, we're not sure. Different drive sizes?

Comment

Working...
            X