Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIVO TCD652160 Freezes - Locks up

Hello TiVo Lovers,

My TCD652160 -- Picture freezes up intermittently. I have replaced the Harddrive Still freezes and you have to unplug to reset. Next I replaced all the capicators on the power supply board. None of the caps were budged. I replaced them all. Even the big one. Still did not fix.
    What should I try next? Replace the power supply?
    This unit has Lifetime service. For that reason, I would sure hate to have to replace it.
    This unit has no cable card and is only used on " off the air " Reception.

This is my first post on the Fourm. Thanks in advance to anyone who reads it and for any suggestions.

Ricky
    Last edited by RCRICK00; 05-28-2015, 07:28 PM.

Bad CableCARD?

What are you plugged into for power? Possibly a failing power strip?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

The unit is plugged into a Panamax surge protector and that is plugged directly in to a wall outlet.
      I did think of that, but I was thinking the HD and power supply was more likely the issue. I will plug it directly into the wall outlet until the issue is resolved. I think it would have to be a single outlet on the Panamax as the is a DirecTv receiver and DVD player on the same strip that hasen't shawn any issues.

Thanks

Comment

We've seen plenty of situations where just the TiVo is more sensitive than other components on the same strip. It doesn't have to be only one outlet on the strip.

Comment

Thanks,

I have it plugged into a direct wall outlet now. We will see. Like I said it has been intermitten, if it runs a week or more, then I think we will have cured it.

Comment

OK - post back and tell us how it goes. And if it's good - get rid of that Panamax before it damages anything!

Comment

Woke up this morning to a froze up picture on my TiVo. So I guess it is not the power strip that is the problem. The froze up picture is perfect. Only way I have found to unlock it is to unplug it. What to try next?

Thanks

Comment

This sounds like a variation on a common motherboard problem we're seeing. In most cases, the unit fully reboots, but in some cases, it may just hang or freeze.

Since you have lifetime service, we think it's worth fixing. You'd need this repair service:

http://www.weaknees.com/s3s4

and then, assuming we need to do the work I expect, the motherboard repair would be an additional $129.99.

Comment

Thanks Michael,

Can you please explain this a little further? Why wouldn't I just order the motherboard and install it myself? Is it a special process that only authorized personal can do to keep the Lifetime Service in tact?

Comment

If you replace the motherboard, you lose your lifetime service. Lifetime is tied to the motherboard itself.

We don't replace it. We repair it. That's the only way to preserve the lifetime service.

Comment

Thanks Micheal,
                      I will have to save up my nickels and dimes. So it's 99.00 for the basic service and another 130.00 for the motherboard repair? I think you are on to the root problem. The unit started off rebooting, now it freezes up about 60 percent of the time and it reboots the other 40 or so.

Ricky

Comment

Correct. The diagnostic is $99.99 and the charge for fixing a rebooting TiVoHD is $129.99.

Comment

Working...
                        X