DB35 Expecations??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DB35 Expecations??

Received and installed my new Seagate DB35 500GB drive. All went relatively smooth, directions were in general very good. Went through setup, wish lists, season passes, channels, settings, etc. This morning while looking through 'to do' list, I noticed the I could hear the drive about as easily as the stock drive (ugghh). Then I realized I didn't hear it upon entering the TV room (200 sq ft). I had not played any programs. So here's my question. Does navigating around the TiVo's menus activate the drive? I ask this question because when I let the TiVo sit in 'Now Playing' for a minute or so, I continued to obviously hear the drive. What caused what I heard? I know TiVo is continually buffering the channels the 2 tuners are currently tuned to, so that should account for some activity. But what did I do that caused increased activity w/ the drive?

Another thought is the acoustic management setting. I read about a guy that was given a DB35 with an incorrect acoustic management setting, and WeaKnees sent him a replacement and all was as expected. Now that has put bugs in my ears and I'm wondering if that happened with me. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Upon reentering my room after a 20 min absence, the drive is in full swing. I can hear it at least the same as the stock TiVo drive, and I believe perhaps even a bit louder. Absolutely no quieter. The reason I purchased the DB35 was for the quieter drive; increased capacity was really not necessary. Sales told me it would be 75% quieter than the stock drive. What is the likelihood I have a drive with an incorrect acoustic setting? Ugggh, this is very upsetting. I already went through the effort of having TiVo send me a replacement S3, thinking maybe the stock drive was faulty. No luck, the replacement S3 was the same, so I returned it. Then I bought the DB35, went through the effort of swapping it, going through setup (which is a pain with 18 season passes, and 10 wishlists), and the drive is actually a bit louder than had I not bought the DB35. I'm going to see if WeaKnees is open now and see what my options are.

EDIT: Of course, they are not open on Saturday.
    Last edited by rtjones; 03-17-2007, 09:52 AM.

I paid for another DB35 500GB, and will return the current drive for a refund. WeaKnees even sent me a label to cover shipping charges of the defective unit. I really hope this second one is much quieter. If not, I need to find another solution to address the noise. Thanks for the great service, Jeff.

Comment

Working...
    X