Access card reader issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access card reader issue

Background info: I traded a PS2 to a friend for his Hughes HDVR2 DirecTV w/ TiVo, with a modified hard drive to increase capacity. I don't know any info on what hard drive he used, but it has worked flawlessly for the past year at his place.

Fast forward: I move in with a new roommate and decide to add my reciever/Tivo to his account so I can have satellite in my room. He calls DTV and asks them about adding a Tivo reciever to his account. They send us a new access card to install. After going through the automated access card deal over the phone, it kicks me to a service technician, because no programming is coming to the television. I have good satellite signal (98%), and the setup is complete and correct. The tech has me remove the card, power down and reboot the Tivo, which seems to work. Once the unit has competely rebooted, I have programming.....for all of about 2 minutes! Then the screen goes black and reverts to a "For ordering information, please call cust. serv....." After spending 2 hours on the phone with several technicians, one of them decides that my access card reader is faulty; that it is reading an initial signal which allows programming for 2 minutes, but isn't storing the information and ultimately losing access. He told me that my unit is trash and that I have to buy or lease a new one.

My two questions are: Does this sound like a bad card reader or something else, and, if it really is a bad card reader, is it possible to repair or replace?

I hate to have to buy a whole new Tivo if one small component is the only thing wrong and should be able to be repaired.
    Last edited by smackynpinky; 03-19-2007, 07:30 PM.

The first thing you should do is to try a new access card. DTV might send you another. Most of the time when we see this, it's just a bad card, not really a bad card reader - although we do see those also.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X