TiVo Series 2 keeps rebooting at "Just a few more minutes"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TiVo Series 2 keeps rebooting at "Just a few more minutes"

My TiVo Series 2 started exhibiting some weird playback issues. It would stutter while playing back a prerecorded program.

Then, at the menus it was very sluggish to respond to the remote.

I got it to reboot, but now it's stuck in a reboot loop. It gets past the "Welcome Powering On" screen, but a few minutes into the "Just a few more minutes" screen it reboots itself again.

As of right now, I've unplugged it to let it cool down a bit.

Am I hosed? Do I need a new hard drive? Or worse?

TIA...

That's a failing/failed hard drive. You need a "replace" kit. Just choose your exact model here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-upgrade.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Aw, crap. Oh well I've been meaning to upgrade capacity one of these days anyway.

Comment

It'll be larger, newer, quieter . . . and it'll work.

Comment

And... it did.

The drive arrived promptly, and installation was simple. The new drive booted fine, a quick run through guided setup, and I'm a happy TiVoer again.

Note that I wrote "simple", and not "painless". I'm somewhat accident-prone, and the TiVo operation proved that once again. After removing the five screws in the back, I went to slide the cover off. It was a little stuck, so I pushed harder, and off it came.

However, in the process my thumb slipped and caught a sharp flange of metal on the inside of the TiVo, ripping a gash about two centimeters long. Blood everywhere. I had to pause my TiVo operation for a trip to the hospital emergency room for an operation of my own. Five stitches later my thumb was all patched up, and I was able to come home and finish the upgrade.

Everyone gets a good laugh when they ask how I hurt my thumb, and I tell them I cut it on my TiVo...

Comment

Ouch! Glad that you're well enough to type . . .

Comment

The hardest thing was learning to use my TiVo remote with my left hand. But I got TiVo back so it's all good!

Comment

slharp

My rs-tx20 has been freezing routinely at least once per day. I purchaed a new HDD from WeaKnees (based on the posts in this forum). I installed the drive and all seems to be OK, however, it still freezes about once every day. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by slharp View Post
                  My rs-tx20 has been freezing routinely at least once per day. I purchaed a new HDD from WeaKnees (based on the posts in this forum). I installed the drive and all seems to be OK, however, it still freezes about once every day. Any suggestions?

Thanks
                  Maybe try a UPS:

http://www.weaknees.com/protect.php

Comment

Working...
                  X