Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

current DirecTV Card in recycled DirecTivo box. Will it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• current DirecTV Card in recycled DirecTivo box. Will it work?

I currently have one Hughes DirecTV Tivo box and a DirecTV satellite receiver in another part of the house. A friend of mine has offered me his old Hughes DirecTV Tivo box to me.
    Can I take the card out of the non-tivo DirecTV box that is active and in use and use it in the free Tivo box? I don't mind if I'm just going to use one receiver 'antenna'.
    Plus, if I hack both of the tivo boxes with the PTVnet 6.2 CD and the InstantCake CD's, can I get them to talk to each other with a wired network card using the USB ports on each?

We really don't know about the hacks - all we hear about is the problems they cause. Proceed with caution on those.

As far as the card, that shouldn't be a problem at all.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

So should I expect to be able to take the card out of the regular directv box and put it in the tivo box? Or maybe I need to get the serial number or something in the settings of the directv setup page, write it down, and then put it in the tivo box and then call directv to ensure it'll be good to do the transfer and maybe pay the increase in having the 2nd tivo running.
      Just wondering on your thoughts for that.

Chris

Comment

You'll need the card number, and the TSN and RID from the new box. Then you call DirecTV and have them move it over.

Comment

Working great!!

Hi Michael.
          Thanks for the info! Last night I called DirecTV and they were very helpful!
          They managed to activate the tivo portion of the card after I read the serial number of the tivo. The RID was something he needed, but managed to do without it.
          He said that since I already have a certain level of subscription, I didn't have to pay anything else! Now I have to figure out how to get a 4th (2nd on the tivo) connection on the 2nd tivo. It's something I'll work on when I get a chance.

Comment

Sounds good - older units have no RID, so they can do a work-around.

Comment

I tried to do the same, but the CSR said I needed to order a whole new access card. Did I get screwed?

Comment

They seem to be making it harder and harder, but it ends up working.

Comment

Working...
                X