Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DirecTV no longer offering Tivos-what am I to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirecTV no longer offering Tivos-what am I to do?

I bought 2 DirecTV Tivo units 2 years ago, and one is still working, the other lived 1 year. Got a refurbished one, it lived another 1 1/2 years. Now DirecTV is telling me that they no longer offer the refurbished Tivo's, only the DirecTV Plus.
    So they send me one, and it is a dog! The remote buttons are stiff, you have to aim it at the unit with the precision of a sharpshooter to get it to respond, and then it responds slow. If this is DirecTV's version of a Tivo, they can keep it!
    I read where the Tivo service will be offered through DirecTV until some time in 2008, and now I am paying for service for two units for less than $6.00 per month, opposed to the $15 I would have to pay if I subscribed directly from Tivo.
    What is my best option here? FInd a unit off Ebay(I am looking at present). Fix up the old one with a rebuild kit(Direct TV R10).
    If I had just a DirecTV receiver, would a standalone Tivo unit work with it?
    Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Marc

First, to the best of our knowledge, DirecTV will keep TiVo units running through the end of 2010. They signed an agreement with TiVo last year committing to that date.

Next, we still have both new and refurbished TiVos for DirecTV - and they are the true TiVo, not the "DVR Plus". The units are here:

http://www.weaknees.com/directv-tivo.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Through 2010? That's great!
      As much use as we put the first one through, I would expect a replacement DirecTivo would last as long. I doubt, though, that I could get a Series two standalone, along with a used DirecTV receiver, and still have it work. (Didn't I see it somewhere in the forum where the Series Two were less likely to break down?
      Thanks in advance.
      Marc

Comment

Actually, these units are really all pretty solid. A Series2 with DTV box would work, but if you have DTV, you are really better off with the combo unit. All you'd gain the other way is networking, but you'd lose the ability to record two channels at once.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X