Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 2 Error S03 Possible Bad Hard Drive

Looking for some advice here...

I've got a Series 2 140hr Tivo that is almost 2 years old. Here lately we've been getting a lot of frozen screens and garbled pictures. We also just got the message that we only had a few days of program information left. We see now that for some reason it has been more than a week since we got a good programming update. When I try to force a manual connection to the Tivo service, it eventually gives us the "Error S03" message. Testing the phone connection works fine.

So, after reading a bit on the Tivo Forum and here, I decided my first step would be to restart the Tivo. Well, it never came back after that. It would sit at the "Powering up..." screen for ever. I also noticed some strange clicking noises that sounded like those you never want your hard drive to make. I'm guessing the drive is going bad.

Now, here's my question...

I want to upgrade the drive without losing all my saved shows. What route should I take? I hope the shows can be copied off to a new drive. I'm a techie, so the manual process doesn't scare me if that's what it is gonna take.

Should I just purchase the upgrade from WK and let them handle it for me?

Should I just buy a new Tivo unit?

Somebody please steer me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Andy

If your TiVo is stuck on powering up and is clicking, saving programming is next to impossible. If your TiVo could boot, you might be able to pull the programming off via TiVo to Go (networking), but if your TiVo is not booting and is clicking, you're probably too late I'm sorry to say.

If you have lifetime serivce, your TiVo is probably worth saving via an upgrade drive.

Whether you should purchase from us is advice I'll leave for others to give.

Comment

My Toshiba rs-tx-60 almost 2 yrs. old same problem only mine isn't making any weird sounds and it is locked in set up mode when it reboots.You do the whole
      set up thing then gets to 18% downloading info then S03.

Comment

See the other thread - likely just a bad hard drive. We have replacements:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-upgrade.php
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X