Pending Restart / Service Update Loop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pending Restart / Service Update Loop

I have an TiVo Brand S2 with v. 8.1 and it seems to be trying to applying a service update at 2 am everyday for the last 5-6 days.

I tried doing several manual restarts and each time the screen says that it's loading a service update but the version number doesn't change from 8.1.a-01-2-140. (I assume it trying to load 8.3)

After I connect manually, via "Connect to TiVo service now", or after TiVo connects at it scheduled time, it will show a "pending restart" in the system screen.

Everything seems to be working except OK, I can receive program updates, etc., and my wireless internet connection is working (I also tested a dial-up connection), because I can receive program updates and I can make and receive DVR name changes.

I know my TiVo has been rebooting at night because I keep having to re-program the 30 sec skip!

I have tried several of the kickstart options, such as:

52 - Emergency reinstall,

58 - mfs Cleanup ,

57 - mfs check, (for 57- It did say on a "green screen" that it found errors and would take up to 3 hrs to fix. But I came back in about 15 mints and it had completed the process),

56 - Software install ( I got a "black" scueed that said "Connection to the server..." then a the next line said "Error: Bad connection". Not sure why because my connections are working, both my wireless and dial up connections tested OK.

Since my TiVo is working 100% should I worry? My only real problem is the I have to reprogram the 30-sec skip each day!

Any thoughts?

John G.

That's almost definitely a hard drive problem. The unit is trying to use an alternate area of the hard drive to install the new version of the OS, and it can't write there properly. Glad that it's otherwise working, but you likely need a replace kit to get the unit working and updating.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Upgrade Kit?

Thanks for the info. Do you think if I send in the unit a transfer could be made of the shows to the new HD?

John G

Comment

We can certainly try. If that's what you want to do, do it soon. The more you use it, likely the worse the drive will get.

Make sure to include a note that you'd like us to get it to 8.3 - maybe reference this thread.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X