Sony SVR2000 odd Directv issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony SVR2000 odd Directv issue

I have an older Sony tivo with lifetime service that I've upgraded with a weakknees hard drive, and replacement modem. It has been working fine until today, when the "channels I receive" list for directv suddenly dropped ALL the channels in the 200s range (the main channels for the directv service) . The pay per view and 900 series channels from directv still show.

Using the directv remote and accessing the directv receiver directly, I see that all the channels are still there and come in fine. I called in to tivo customer service and was told to do a guided setup. I was told to select "Directv Miami" and "extended basic", but neither of these options was available prior to the initial setup call. When the tivo now calls out for the initial setup 800 number call, it can't make the connection, even though I can see on a phone telltale that it is dialing out properly.

I'm thinking that some change has been made at tivo that is causing the older software to mess up the directv channels, and that the 800 setup number is being swamped?

In any event, looks like I'm screwed for now and stuck on the call tivo routine. I'm not having a very good feeling about this. Any other thoughts or suggestions (other than upgrading and having to pay monthly fees)?

The first thing to do is to listen in to the phone call. Do you hear a connection?

What error message is the TiVo giving you?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks, that got me through one hurdle. We have to dial the complete 10 digit phone number here, so the string command was set not only for the outside weaknees modem command line, but included the 954 area code. When tivo tried to dial the 800 number it added the 954 before it, which of course resulted in a phone system error. Listening in, I caught the "number you dialed is an incorrect number" message.

The next issue I've been dealing with is the IR blaster codes for my older RCA sat receiver. It doesn't help that the tivo help screen obliterates the channel indicator on the on-screen sat rcvr display. I called tivo for help but the rep didn't have system one screens to view, or the sony info, so I ended up choosing a code set that seemed to do something to the sat box, and now I wait a few hours while the tivo box digests whatever it eats.

Stuff like this makes me wonder if watching tv is worth the hassle. Complexities and obsfuscation are not user friendly. One of the first things that impressed me about tivo was that it eliminated a lot of that. Guess technology has overtaken it.

Comment

Well, once you get over this hurdle, it does get much easier. But, frankly, with DirecTV all of this complexity can be reduced with an all-in-one TiVo and DirecTV receiver. It really eliminates all of this. We have them here:

http://www.weaknees.com/directv-tivo.php

Comment

Well, it looks like I did choose a code that works the channel up/down and numbers, so I'm more or less back to normal until we move.

Re: the combo recvr. I guess the easy answer is that you are working to make money (just like me) and I am working just as hard to keep my money. I love the fact that I don't pay an ongoing tivo subscription fee, otherwise I might consider it. (I went to prepaid cellular for much the same reason of hating ongoing fees.)

When it does come time to buy an upgrade, weaknees is at the top of my short list. You guys have been great. Both the replacement modem and hard drive I've purchased from you worked exactly as described, and with no ugly surprises during installation.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction on this issue.

Comment

OK - that all makes sense. If you have a lifetime subscription, keep it. That's like gold. If you were paying monthly, you'd actually be better off with a DTV box since the monthly DVR fee is $5.95 compared to about $13 for standalone boxes (less for prepaid plans).

Comment

Working...
            X