Help with my Hughes SD-DVR120 blocky playback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with my Hughes SD-DVR120 blocky playback

I am new to this forum. Sorry if this has been discussed but I tried searching and nothing came up.

I have a 2001 ish' Hughes SD-DVR120 with dual line Direct TV imputs TIVO. I am the original owner and it has been in service the entire time. It recently started to record very blocky and stuttering and pausing like dropped frames or when Rain is about to come pouring down..

It has been doing this for about a month now so I can rule out the weather. I also looked at my sat signal and both are at 99%.

It doesn't make any whining or hard drive noise. I can just hear the fan blowing in the back.

It records all my shows, it records suggestions like it always has, it gets it's updates, it responds to remote control commands like it should. I am just baffled about the bad video blocks that show up and the garbled screens.

I was gonna get a replacement hard drive (thats how I found this site) but thought I would ask first.

ALSO this is a little extra help if anybody cares to reply. Since this was happening to me with my current TIVO, I started to look around eBay.

I saw the HR10-250 HD for sale at some decent prices... I read also from here that some of them have a problem with the HDMI connector or circuit but some don't. What happens if I get one off of ebay? Can I put my card in it an off I go or will I be in trouble and cost me a ton of money to get it going. I am not into hacking or doing anything against the law. I do not own any HDMI equipment..

Thanks

Heavy I/O
    Last edited by HEAVYIO; 06-26-2007, 06:22 AM.

We have a lot of HR10 info on our new HR10 info and troubleshooting page.

As far as the other problems, the key is this: if you rewind, are the problems with blockiness identical? If so, you likely have a bad tuner and the drive is just recording all it gets. If the blockiness changes, you likely have a failing drive.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Blocky Video

Thanks for the quick reply. I never thought about trying that. I will do that tonight when I get home.

I was also wondering about the ebay part of my inquiry. Can I use my access card on another Tivo? I will check out the H10 area.

Thanks again for your quick reply

Heavy I/O

Comment

You can use the card, but if that receiver had been leased, or was on a delinquent account, DTV won't activate it for you. eBay is a pretty mixed bag with DirecTV equipment - there are lots of problems.

Comment

Blocky Video

Yep the blocks stay in the same place when I replay the video. Also it seems to get worse when I start watching the DVR. The more I FF or REW and play the worse the blocks are. I don't know if it may be heat related etc..

Could this be repaired? I guess the tuner is built on the mobo? I have never seen the inside of the box.

I heard something like the new DTV TIVOS are not TIVOS they are just DVRs.

Is that true on all of the DTV boxes? I was thinking about buying a new one but I want TIVO branded one. If they are all like that now which is the latest model to go to that has TIVO on it?

Thanks

Comment

We can actually get the tuners fixed - call or email us for more info about that (888 932-5633 or [email protected]).

Right - the new DVRs from DirecTV aren't TiVos. We still have TiVo DVRs for DirecTV if you need one.

Comment

Blocky Video

Thanks. I played around with it last night (The Tivo that is). I found out that it is only one of my tuners if I am using the right terminology. Half the programs are fine and the other half blocky.. Can I disable one of the tuners and run on just one for now? How can I tell what programs are being recorded from which tuner? I will give ya-all a call when I get home and get the model and s/n of my unit.

Thanks

Heavy I/O

Comment

It's a little tricky, but just go ahead and disconnect one of the cables to see if you can figure out which is causing the problems. If it's SAT2, then just re-do Guided Setup and tell the unit that you only have one cable connected.

Comment

Working...
                X