Is my SAT-T60's drive going?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my SAT-T60's drive going?

For a few months now, the menu navigation on our SAT-T60 has been very sluggish. It routinely takes a minute, literally, to get to the menu when we first sit down to watch television now, which is quite annoying. I've heard it suggested that this may be due to a hard drive problem, which (as far as I'm concerned) is pretty good news, i.e. compared to "utter failure" or some other possible answer.

The unit is just as I bought it; I've never bothered with a capacity upgrade, since we don't watch that much TV. At this point, I think it's about six years old now, and it's basically been spinning constantly since then, so it's easy to believe it's an HD problem.

As a follow-up, if it IS the drive, I definitely want to preserve the programming on there if at all possible. Is my understanding correct that a WK kit will walk me through that? Finally, is it possible to do these things via usb enclosures from a Mac or Linux box, or is the migration only possible from Windows?

thanks in advance,
    Chet in Houston

Edit: I forgot to note that, other than the menu navigation speed, we're seeing no problems -- the audio and video are still fine; recordings still happen as scheduled; etc.
    Last edited by chetman; 07-01-2007, 04:55 PM. Reason: added postscript.

Those do sound like hard drive issues. A replace kit should fix that. If you want to attempt to preserve the contents of your drive (we can't know for sure until we try with failing drives) then you'd need to send us the unit and opt for the $79 service here:

http://www.weaknees.com/sat6.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X