Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Series2 TiVos when the HDTV switch over happens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series2 TiVos when the HDTV switch over happens?

When the networks all make the Big Switch to broadcasting everything in HD, what happens with Series2 (and Series1) TiVos Will they be able to record HD signals Will they need to be hooked up to a converter
    Last edited by torshire; 07-06-2007, 11:11 PM.

That's really not what's happening. They're moving to digital, but not necessarily HD. If you use antenna right now, you'll need a converter. But if you use cable or DirecTV, you shouldn't have any issue.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Michael,
      Can you be more specific with you comment, "you shouldn't have any issue."

I currently get basic cable (no box) through Time Warner. I am considering purchasing 2 Series 2 Tivo boxes (one 80hr and one at least 300hr). I intend to make extensive use of the Multi-Room Viewing feature over a wired LAN. I don't intend to make the switch to HD (do I really need to see "Dirty Jobs" in all it's gory detail? ) any time in the next couple of years.

Any recommendations or suggestions would sure be appreciated.

Thank you,
      Steve

Comment

The conversion relates to OFF AIR broadcasts; it has nothing to do with cable or satellite. Those private providers of signal are not subject to the changeover.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
          That's really not what's happening. They're moving to digital, but not necessarily HD. If you use antenna right now, you'll need a converter.
          I have a series 2 40hour Tivo. Can you suggest digital converter boxes that will work with my current tivo?

Will the Tivo be able to change channels on these converter boxes? Will the programming guide still work and record properly with the digital conversion box?

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
            They're moving to digital, but not necessarily HD. If you use antenna right now, you'll need a converter.
            I should have also said that I'm receiving my broadcast Over-The-Air and intend to continue using OTA to recieve any digital broadcasts.

Comment

Originally posted by pueo View Post
              Will the Tivo be able to change channels on these converter boxes? Will the programming guide still work and record properly with the digital conversion box?
              It's likely that the converter box will simply be device through which the signal passes and won't need to be communicated with. In that scenario, the TiVo will simply continue to change channels on a tuning device as it always has. For digital off the air signal, a Series 2 has no way of either tuning or receiving a digital signal. In this scenario, you actually would need a communicating converter, and presumably TiVo will download IR codes for these products to your DVR.
              Last edited by WK-Jason; 08-30-2007, 03:11 PM.
              That's all there is to it!

Comment

Working...
              X