Advice on TiVo 2 Series box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on TiVo 2 Series box

I have had a TiVo 1 Series with an external drive that lets me record about 80 hrs. at best quality & have had it for about 6 years with a lifetime service contract. TiVo is now offering a lifetime service contract if I buy a Series 2 TiVo that has about 24 hrs. at best quality. I'd stick with the TiVo 1, if I knew that the hard drive would last, but 6-7 yrs. is a long time.

My questions:
    1. Is it worth getting a TiVo2 Series, since the 3 Series has been out for awhile?
    2. If I get the Series 2 TiVo (dual recorder @ 80 hr. basic quality), does anyone know if I can add a SATO external hard drive? Tech support couldn't tell me the manufacturer or anything about the "new" TiVo.
    3. Other than recording 2 shows at once, is there any advantage to getting a Series 2 TiVo at this point?

I guess I'm a little paranoid that TiVo is getting rid of their unused stock.
    Thanks for any answers & advice,

Speaking only for myself:

1a. I'd say if you're happy with the performance of your Series 1, stick with it until you're ready to move into HD.
    2a. No, you cannot connect an external drive to the Series 2, but you can either add to or replace the internal drive and go up to well over 1000 hours.
    3a. The Series 2 models can be connected through the Internet, share programming info between units over your home network, group your shows in folders, and a few other nice features.

As for TiVo getting rid of their unused stock...no comment.
    That's all there is to it!

Comment

TiVo 2 Advice

Thank you for your quick response & advice. One more question, please.
      Originally posted by WK-Jason View Post

2a. No, you cannot connect an external drive to the Series 2, but you can either add to or replace the internal drive and go up to well over 1000 hours.
      One reason I'm considering replacing the Series 1 with the Series 2 is that I get a lifetime service contract (of the unit only, of course). If I do, get a Series 2 & actually replace the drive with a larger drive, will it still work? i.e. I always assumed that there was TiVo software in the original drive that allowed you to use the remote to access it's functions.

As far as my comment about getting rid of their unused stock, I wasn't really insulting TiVo. I've had only good experiences with TiVo. It's just that I'm sure that they have unsold Series 2 TiVos now that they've come out with Series 3.

Comment

Originally posted by phrab View Post
        If I do, get a Series 2 & actually replace the drive with a larger drive, will it still work? i.e. I always assumed that there was TiVo software in the original drive that allowed you to use the remote to access it's functions.
        The replacement drive, at least the one we would provide, would be formatted with the same software you'd find on your original drive. If you set it up similarly in guided set-up, etc., you won't see any difference in the way your TiVo operates, other than a possible increase in capacity.
        That's all there is to it!

Comment

Thank you so much!!! You've been very helpful.

Comment

Working...
          X