My AppleTV Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My AppleTV Upgrade

I've just completed my upgrade. It took about 20 minutes total. There was one issue, that for some could be a show stopper and a couple of notes:

1. There are actually two different sizes of Torx screws in the AppleTV, so two different tools should be provided. I found that the long chassis screws at the front edge actually require a larger size Torx than the one packaged in the kit, which fits only the hard drive screws properly. The difference is significant enough that you can look at them and see that the chassis screws take a bigger tool than the hard drive screws, and the tool provided spins in the center if you hold it perfectly perpendicular, so it's too small for those screws!

I found just a few minutes ago on MacWorld.com that the actual sizes are

a) T8 on the four Hard Drive Screws
    b) T10 on the chassis

Using the T8 you provided, I was barely able to get the T10 size screws out, but I needed to to tilt the tool to get the little splines to engage, and it feels all wrong, but when it's midnight and it's half disassembled, well, you know. I was careful not to strip anything, but you need to include the right tools, it would be a 10 minute job

Two minor notes.

2. Just a note on the second paragraph on note 3. Powering up and Clearing the AppleTV Upgrade. Where you say "...you must choose Factory Reset" it's actually "Factory Restore"

3. Finally, after the upgrade it looks like the device needs to be re-registered in iTunes and the old device removed, so people might want to make note of their profile settings. Those details seem to be absent from the instructions.

That's about it. It's syncing right now.

P.S. When you do get some T10 size tools in, I'd appreciate it if you can drop one in the mail to me so I can cinch the case up properly. No rush. I'm Order #XX3799 on the morning of April 16.

Regards,

Matt
    Last edited by memobug; 04-19-2007, 12:22 AM.

Matt,

It does seem that you're right. We had thought that at one point, but then our T8 was doing the trick in every screw, so we just assumed that they were all really T8 screws and that we were just confusing these screws with TiVos, which have mostly T10 screws. So we'll start including T10 drivers also. And we'll send one out to you today.

Thanks also for notes 2 and 3. We'll incorporate those into the instructions for the next revision.

Michael
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks Michael - I appreciate the prompt response! Everything seems to have synced up properly and I'm already enjoying the new hard disk space.

One other question:

Regarding the warranty statement:

"New 160 GB Seagate drive with 5 year Seagate warranty (six month WeaKnees warranty)"

Should I have received a Seagate warranty card on the drive?

Regards,

Matt

Comment

No - the Seagate warranty is based on the serial number of the drive. If you ever need service from them, you can just enter it on their website and produce an RMA. If you want, you can try it now and you should see your warranty end date.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
          No - the Seagate warranty is based on the serial number of the drive. If you ever need service from them, you can just enter it on their website and produce an RMA. If you want, you can try it now and you should see your warranty end date.

Unfortunately the label with the serial number is sealed up in the AppleTV at the moment Maybe that's another point for your User Guide??

Thanks for the screwdriver; it arrived yesterday.

Regards,

Matt

Comment

If you email us, we can email back your serial number.

Comment

Working...
            X