momentary loss of audio and video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• momentary loss of audio and video

Last night I had two occurances of the picture and sound stopping (the TV screen went black), then approximately 5 seconds later reappeared and the color on return seemed to be briefly black and white as color returned to normal within 2 or 3 seconds. The events happened on separate channels, but share in common that they were both "East Coast" Network channels (NBC and CBS). This did not happen the remainder of the evening viewing on any other channel.
    I am new to the forum and welcome anyone who may read this or has any insight regarding this symptom. Hopefully it was with the Directv signal and not my receiver.
    Thanks,
    Ken

Can you tell us what unit you have?

This is most likely the first sign of a failing hard drive, but it could certainly be a problem with DTV signals also. Does the unit ever reboot?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

The unit is a "Directv Plus" model R 15. I have not had to reboot the receiver. Hope the additional information helps. Thanks for looking into this.
      Ken

Comment

Unfortunately, we really don't have a lot of experience with that unit, but we're pretty sure that if you tell DirecTV about the problems, they'd swap it out, likely for free.

Comment

Thanks,
          I will continue to monitor for similar occurances, also had a thought, next time I am watching these channels, I can set the other receiver to record, if it happens, check other machine to see if it had same temporary loss.
          Really like the forum and website, lots of good information.
          Ken

Comment

Aside from the similar names, I have a similar but not exact problem with my DrecTiVo. It is a Samsung Series2 model SIR-S4040R, and the newest of my 3 DirecTiVo's. While watching a recording, from time to time, the color starts to bleed and get bright, then turn to black and white. Hitting the 7 second button brings the color back. I do not have this problem with either of my older 2 DirecTiVo's. Is this also a failing hard drive problem?

Comment

That really doesn't sound like a hard drive problem. It might be a cable problem, especially if you are using S video, or it's (most likely) a failing motherboard, sorry to say.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                That really doesn't sound like a hard drive problem. It might be a cable problem, especially if you are using S video, or it's (most likely) a failing motherboard, sorry to say.
                No, I use RCA cables (Monster2) for these units. This is bad news. This is the only chine that receives the new TiVo updates. My other 2 units are on the "exception" list.

Comment

Working...
                X