DTV HR22 w/1.5TB external hangs all the time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DTV HR22 w/1.5TB external hangs all the time

I have a brand new Directv HR22 and have added Weaknees 1.5 TB external drive, and I am having significant problems with the external drive.

When using the drive, after a while I get increasing problems, such as freezing when watching live TV, sound/video mismatch, significant video-noise when fast forward or fast back, really annoying jumping video when watching live TV, very slow controls (paging through the guide, jump forward, jump back), and more problems.

If I reset (unplug) the DVR and hard drive and then reboot it fixes for a while, then goes bad. BUT, when I do that, all my recorded shows and season tickets disappear. After I restart, when I go to LIST, I get a message saying that it has downloaded the latest software, and after that, everything is gone.

If I unplug the external 1.5 TB drive, and use the internal factory drive, I have none of these problems.

Any help???

Sounds like there's a good chance it's a bad drive . . .

Email us at [email protected] for repair instructions.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks, Michael. I am impressed with the quick (after-hours) reply.

Comment

One more question. When it is working properly, if it loses power (unplugged or power failure), will my settings and recorded shows still be there when I power back on, or will they be gone as they are now?

Comment

They should remain after a power outage, just so long as the external comes back on first. That may not always be easy if you aren't there . . .

Comment

Resolution?

I am having a similar problem with my \brand new HR22 and a 2TB external drive. It hangs and is very slow responding. I am also getting pixelization on playback. I hvae had DTV send out a brand new HR22 and they both worked fine without the external drive. However, both externals have problems. I really want to get this fixed as I had a SD DTV box with a Weaknees internal expansion. I can't live without the extra space!! Please let me know what resolved this issue so that I can try it out as well. I don't want to return the drive.

Comment

I think you might have spoken to someone here yesterday - hopefully we're getting your issue resolved.

Have you tried a new eSATA cable?

Comment

That was one of the first things we tried. Last night I did a complete restart with the external drive connected. I recorded and watched a couple of shows and that seems to have worked. I will record & watch a few more and post my results.

Comment

OK - if it's the cable, that would be great to know.

Comment

Problems Have returned

After I did a complete reset with the drive connected, things worked fine for a few days. After I added my series recordings and started putting the unit through its paces, the pixelizaiton returned and the response times are very slow. Any ideas as to next steps?

Comment

We haven't seen a speed issue here. Try leaving the external drive on and rebooting the DVR.

Comment

no prob with 750s

I have 2 750 or 800 gig externals from weaknees with no probs over 6 mos- Knock on wood

Comment

Working...
                        X