Question about sattelite dishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about sattelite dishes

OK I figured I would go to the Sattelite dish experts, since apparently everyone I talk to at DirecTV either won't divulge the information, or doesnt know the answer.

My association is very strict about their Sattelite dish policy. They will allow installation of dishes up to the size of 24", and they must be mounted to the Fascia board under the under-carraige of the roof. They do not want any sattelite dishes mounted to walls, or ceilings.

I figured I would give some background to why I was asking the question I was, before I went into it.

So the 5 LNB dish requires a tripod mount, because the wind load of the face of the dish. This dish is also 29.6" wide, so it is larger than the association's rules permit.

My question is, can you take the LNB's off the 5 LNB dish and install them on the arm of a smaller dish and receive the additional 2 sattelite frequencies?

Currently I only can receive the channels on the 101, 110, and 119 bands. I want to get the additional channels that are now being pushed over the 99 and 103 bands.

I consider myself somewhat of a "hack" so removing the current LNB Arm on my sattelite dish, and installing a new LNB arm for the purpose of receiving the additional bands would be a fun project, if I could be sure that the additional size in the dish wasn't absolutely necessary for the service to work properly.

My HD DVR is an HR22.

My other alternative is to fight the association, although I will probably lose.

I am open to suggestions, as paying for HD service and receiving only 9 HD channels is not worth it in my opinion, if I cannot receive the other 120 channels I am paying for.

I really don't know if that would work, but, frankly, I doubt it.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Short answer NO.

The reason this wont work is, The other Sat's. you need to pick up hit the out edges of the KAKU slimline dish. So taking a Slimline LNB and attaching it to an Oval OLD OUT dated dish wont work. And the other reason is you wont be able to Find the 99 and 103 just buy guessingt. And no installer will come out and install the slimline LNB on a oval dish. Sorry man but doing this just wont work. But on the bright side! If you live in an apt. You can talk to your Manager or Apt owner to allow them to install 1 KAKAU Slimline Dish "by the Cable connections at one end of the APT" and hook into it like that. The reason I'm saying this is because you can hook up the Whole apt complex off that one dish!! Just a matter of a bigger multiswitch. A few APT here are doing this. We go out and install 1 KAKU dish with a 16 port multi switch. And add more if needed. Its a very clean install With only one dish at each building, hiding tucked away. The owner is very pleased having ONE dish instead of having 30, one at each apt.
      But to do what you want with an old oval just wont work. The 103 and 99 are very hard to pick up if you dont have know what your doing. Finding them is easy but TUNING those are not for someone who doesnt have the right info. And you need a BirdDog meter.

Comment

Most definately .. First of all the LNB will not fit into the arm of the smaller dish. and the dish back doesnt have the dithering mechanism used to fine tune the dish.

Comment

Working...
        X