External Hard Drive Erased

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External Hard Drive Erased

Anyone else notice on HR21-100 models that an eSATA External hard drive is erasing itself? I just received the software update for the DoublePlay last night and this morning my external hard disk is empty.

I have a second unit, an HR21-700, that has not received the update yet. But I fear for it's external drive's content.

Also - does anyone know if you can simply take an external drive that has been formatted and recording shows and move it internal replacing the drive that's in there now. My thought being that maybe that would prevent the unsolicited erasure with the external setup.

Any suggestions or similar stories out there?

Thanks,

Rob
    Last edited by HDRob; 09-15-2009, 05:19 PM.

this happened to me last night as well. I JUST got it setup on sunday, so not sure what its all related to. plenty pissed tho to lose all my settings

Comment

Well, if it happened to two of you, something must be going on.

Did it happen during the OS update for both of you?
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Yes

Yes, it happened the night I received the software update.

By the way, this also happened to a friend of mine that lives here in the Cleveland Ohio area too. So, that's three cases.

Rob

Comment

Moving HD from External to Internal

Last night I shut everything down. Disassembled my HR21-100 and my external 1TB hard disk eSata drive. I had a couple test shows recorded on the external drive. I removed the internal drive and replaced it with the 1TB external drive. Put everything back together (the case top is a b*tch to put back on). Unfortunately, the HR21-100 reformatted the 1TB drive; even though it was working fine as an external drive and had a couple shows recorded on it.

My hope was that I could simply move the external drive inside and prevent any reformatting caused by software updates or powering up devices in the wrong sequence. I further hoped that the 1TB drive would carry the shows already recorded on it when it was outside with it inside the HR21-100. Now that I have the 1TB drive inside I am hopeful that being inside will prevent future unplanned erasure. Although I am starting over again on the HR21-100 programming.

That said, I have a second unit, an HR21-700, with an external 1TB drive; but it is half full of shows. It has not gone through the software update for doubleplay yet; which caused the original reformat of the HR21-100. I dare not move the half full 1TB drive inside as it appears it will be reformatted upon reboot. I just hope when the inevitable software update does arrive, it does not decide to reformat the external drive.

I'll be soooooooo happy when DirecTV releases their new TiVo HD model for its' subscribers.

Rob

Comment

You should be able to move an external drive to an internal without losing data . . . we've certainly done it. Not sure what happened.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X