Direct TV-New Sat Mid Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct TV-New Sat Mid Year

I am a "power" Direct TV TIVO user. Our house has a total of 5 Direct TV HD Tivo units. I recently had a very disturbing conversation with DTV. They advised me that mid-2007 when they launch their new HD birds, because of some new compression technology, my HD-Tivos will be rendered virtually obsolete and will not even be able to receive the local channels in HD over sat. They are offering to exchange my Tivo units for their new pieces of S__T.

What is the story with this and what are my options if I want to remain with DTV?

Originally posted by bgshapiro View Post
    I am a "power" Direct TV TIVO user. Our house has a total of 5 Direct TV HD Tivo units. I recently had a very disturbing conversation with DTV. They advised me that mid-2007 when they launch their new HD birds, because of some new compression technology, my HD-Tivos will be rendered virtually obsolete and will not even be able to receive the local channels in HD over sat. They are offering to exchange my Tivo units for their new pieces of S__T.

What is the story with this and what are my options if I want to remain with DTV?
    DIRECTV's plans are always changing, but they are using MPEG4 for HD locals now in most markets. Locals will still come in via an off-air antenna on the HR10-250, and off-air signals are the best quality signals you can get (if you can get them).

Many of our HR10-250 customers are simply getting DTV's home-grown DVR (the HR20-700) and are running it side-by-side with the HR10, into a different input of their TV. They are they using the HR20 when absolutely necessary, and are running the HR10 for all else.

Comment

Thanks Jeff:

Not sure that I follow- If it was just getting the HD locals, I would be happy to add a local antenna.

Are you saying use the HR-10 to Tivo record non HD channels and bring the HR-20 in on a different input to record HD only? It strikes me I that I would have to bring 4 attenna leads off my multi-switch to each TV (for each machines dual tuner). My understanding is that they will use MPEG 4 for ALL of their programming, not just local HDs and that we will need a special dish and multi-switch for this which will render the old Direct TIVOs useless. Is this true?

Comment

The HR10 would also be for all HD channels except those only available to the HR20. Yes, you'd need four leads, but no, we don't believe that all of the HD programming will be MPEG4 any time soon.

The new dish and multiswitch are completely compatible with any other DirecTV equipment.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

So what if I don't upgrade anything and just get a off air HD antenna for local HD feeds. I would continue to get the HD channels I now get from DTV? What about this new bird and all of the NEW channels? Or is that the reason for the HR-20 to receive the new channels and local HD? I assume that if I don't change the dish and multi-switch I will not be able to get any of the new HD channels?

Comment

Working...
          X