HR21-700 still runs when shut off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HR21-700 still runs when shut off

First of all I just want to say I've been viewing these forums for a couple of years and I must say you guys know your stuff and thanks for answering alot of my questions just by searching these forums.

I can't find an answer to this and before I call DTV I thought I'd check here. Any solutions?

The issue I have is when I turn off my newly installed HR21-700 (refurbished),all the lights shut off, but the unit continues to record the channel I was just watching in the buffer. I've had the unit for over a week now and the hard drive has been on 24/7.

Is this a defective unit?

Thanks in advance,

CZUP

Nope - that's the way the HR21 (and pretty much all DVRs) work. There really is no true "off" position. They go into a standby mode where they disable the video out and the lights, but they still record and buffer. So what you've got is totally standard, and correct.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for the reply Michael.
      It's just weird because I don't remember my R10 or previous DVRs recording live tv while off.
      I know I was able to rewind 44 min or so of what was on there.
      For instance if I watched the 11pm news the night before, when I turned it on the next morning I saw 44 min of last night's news cast and then what ever started buffering in the morning, but I don't remember the drive spinning all night long.
      My concern was that the unit seems to get pretty warm and I havn't seen the fan turn on yet, so I thought I might have a defect.

CZUP

Comment

Well, my guess is that you just had quieter drives in the other DVRs, so you didn't notice. If the HR21 is a refurb, it may even be that someone sent it in for noise problems, but the refurb facility just didn't deem them worthy.

FWIW, our HR23s are pretty quiet . . .
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X