No announcement yet.

Can I swap HR22 Hard Drive with an R10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I swap HR22 Hard Drive with an R10?

I recently cancelled my DirecTV service. I have several DirecTV DVR's including an upgraded HR22 bought from Weaknees a few years ago. I did not realize that DirecTV listed the HR22 as leased until now. My mistake was not following the advice posted here in the forum to call them and ask that it be listed as owned.
    Anyway, DirecTV now wants me to ship back the HR22 to them since it was listed as leased. They told me they would charge me $470 if it's not returned in 7 days.
    I may or may not switch back to DirecTV in the near future. If I do, I am going to want an upgraded HD unit as our main receiver. DirecTV of course tells me that I can't get the same unit back and that they do not offer any upgraded HD DVR's.
    So.... can I swap out the hard drive in the unit with one from one of my R10's before I send it back? That way if and when I do start DirecTV service again, I can just swap out the hard drives with the receiver they send me.

No, you cannot do that. Among other issues and problems, the drives are different sizes and are incompatible.

Comment

Okay, thanks for the quick response. I don't suppose Weaknees wants to trade my upgraded HDD for a standard one I can send back to DirecTV in that receiver, do they? I'd rather you have them than them!

Comment

It's probably more trouble than it's worth with all of the shipping, but we could do it. How large is the upgrade drive?
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
          It's probably more trouble than it's worth with all of the shipping, but we could do it. How large is the upgrade drive?
          I don't remember exactly, but I think it's got a 750GB or 1TB drive in it. I don't have the proper screwdriver to crack the case to find out for sure.

Shipping wouldn't be too expensive, I'm in the IE. Maybe if the rain stops soon I could just stop in with it and you guys could swap the drive there. But time is not on my side.

Blech, thanks for the responses, but I think I'm resigned to just send it back.

Comment

OK - if you want to make the drive, we'd be happy to swap it out . . .
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X