Best setup for 50ish unit "dormitory" MDU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best setup for 50ish unit "dormitory" MDU

I'd appreciate help on this. Looking to outfit a dormitory-style building with the following layout:

5th story roof -> slimline 5lnb
    2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th floors: living areas needing 12 tuners (12 rooms)
    1st flr: need 2 tuners
    bsmt: need 1 tuner

the above is the *CAPACITY* required. i.e. not all cable runs will be used at every moment. We need to potentially accommodate them all though.

Further info: there is wiring closet available on 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th floors. long cable runs to 1st & basement could be sent from the 2nd floor. I'd be able to run multiple lines from the dish to the 5th floor wiring closet, though the fewer the better.

Sounds like stacking some SWM8s would be the way to go? Is there a limit to how many can be used? Can they be arranged in such a way as to feed this many potential tuners? Or are a bunch of old-school 16x multiswitches the way to go? Note, there will be only one RG6 run to each room.

Sorry to complicate things further, but is there anything to prevent someone from putting in a DVR unit and "stealing" one of the tuner slots? Say I had a system all set up with every single output used... then someone goes and swaps out a single-tuner model for a dual... what happens? Who "loses" a signal?

Thanks very much for your help.

This is quite easy to accommodate using SWMs. You will need at least 2 SWMs, most likely a power inserter and possibly an amplifier depending on the length of the runs. We have all that you need in stock, and you can even get a SWM chassis that will accomodate more than 2 SWMs if you need room for expansion.

There really is no way to prevent someone from switching out a regular unit for a DVR and 'stealing' tuners...you might want to have some extra capacity to prevent this.

If you want further help, just contact us.

Comment

Working...
    X