Splitter Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitter Help

I have a DIRECTV HR10-250 TIVO DVR and I have tried using a Terk 3 in 4 BMS-34 to split a single cable into the two inputs without any success. I have tried to use it with both a diplexer and without. The Terk works with an older Philps DSR 704 Unit. Additional information is that I have an older Dual LNB dish however the DirecTV tech used one of the connections to connect the local channel dish so he would not have to run another line. So the bottom line is I have one line coming into the house that I would like to split but I'm not sure what will work. I would like to split it to both inputs in the HR10-250 HD unit and the older 704. Is this possible? Should I change the dish also?

Thanks

There's really no way to split that one line into more lines. You can split multiple inputs into more, but never one, with that equipment. If you want to record two shows at once, you really need a full second line.

You might as well also get a 3LNB or 5LNB dish while you're doing the work.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks, I just checked with DirecTV and if I order HD service they will install a new 5LNB for free. So it looks like I'll do that for a start.

Thanks for the great information.
      Bill

Comment

I also have a splitter question:

I am about ready to order a SWM-8 but I am not sure if my current splitter will work. When my house was built a "home theater hub" was installed in the basement to house all of the phone lines / internet / and cable runs. I have looked through numerous sites and forums but cannot find a clear answer on my specific splitter.

I have seen mention that the swm approved splitters have to function down to 2.3Mhz but some people have said their standard splitters handle it just fine.

So, to sum up, I would install the SWM-8 at the dish, run one cable into the house to the power inserter, then run from that to the splitter in the hub.

The specs for my splitter are:

Greyfox Product No.: F7585
        UPC: 871744100291
        Dimensions: 4.252" x 2.376" x 1.186"
        I/O: One input, eight outputs
        Connections: Standard F-type connectors
        Bandwidth: 5 MHz to 2 GHz
        Insertion Loss: -6.5 db +/- 2 average
        Current Capacity: Designed for 1 A @ 15 VDC
        Maximum Voltage: 60 VDC
        Operating Temperature: 32° F to 104° F (0° C to 40° C)
        Warranty: 1 year, limited

Does anyone have any knowledge on if this current splitter would work, or do I need to order the STS-4 when I get the SWM-8?

Thanks

Jon

Comment

No, you need a SWM splitter that goes down to 2Mhz; that is a return path frequency necessary for the receivers to communicate with the SWM.

Comment

Working...
          X