Only 2 (or Maybe 3) Wires From the Roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only 2 (or Maybe 3) Wires From the Roof

I was a previous DirectTV customer with SD dish on the roof of my two-story house. I now have Comcast, but am planning to go back to DirecTV HD service in Jan 2009. All of my RG-6 drops to the rooms come to a central wiring closet under the inside stairs (on the 1st floor). While my builder thought he was being "proactive" by running two drops to the attic (DSS) and two drops to the street (CATV), they did NOT put in conduit to the wiring closet from the attic or the street, and there's no way to pull more RG-6 to the attic without ripping out walls. It MAY be possible for me to run one RG-6 all the way across the attic and outside and down the wall to the demarc for the CATV and steal one of those inbound coax lines, but I am planning on keeping Comcast for Hi-Speed Internet so I can't steal both. Will a 5-LNB HD Dish work in my home with this situation?

1.) How many runs (minimum) are needed to get HD signals from the dish to the multiswitch in the closet downstairs?

2.) If I can use the third line (from one of the CATV inlets), will the extra distance on that run (across attic & down side of house) screw up the signal quality (if coaxen is not all the same length)?

3.) Is there any solution to get the 5-LNB signal multiplexed onto two wires up in the attic to run it down into the wiring closet on the existing two RG-6 lines and then into another switch in the wiring clsoet on the 1st floor to distribute out to the rooms?

(And finally - how the heck will I ever communicate this to the installer! ;-)

Thanks...

Tom

How many tuners will be needed ? If it is less than 8 and the run from the closet to the roof is not extremely long then a SWM LNB antenna with power inserter and splitter should work.
    Regards
    Owenf

Comment

How To Get Signal To Wiring Closet From Dish

owenf,
      I plan on having three DVR's and maybe one legacy SD non-DVR box. So that should be 7 runs from the wiring closet. My big problem is that I only have two wires coming in from the 2nd story roof to the wiring closet. With a 5LNB dish, how many wires will come in from the dish to the main distribution point? If it's 5, I am screwed. I can't run extra RG-6, as the builder was short-sighted and did not give me a conduit into the box from the roof for future expansion. I was wondering if I could use one of those SWM devices to mux all lines out of the dish onto the two RG-6 wires into the box, then at the wiring closet end, de-mux them back out to the original 5? I am betting this WON'T be covered by the "free" installation, right? Install date is planned as 1/2/2009.

-Tom

Comment

You can install the SWM at the dish and run the two lines from the SWM to your closet. I'd recommend that you stick with SWM-compatible equipment, and you can then have the two lines run from the SWM1 and SWM2 ports, yielding 7 tuners total.

Comment

SWM Switch-Compatible Equipment

Do you know if the DirecTV HD DVR's they're peddling these days are compatible with the SWM setup?

-Tom

Comment

All units here are compatible:

DIRECTV HD DVRs

Comment

Working...
            X