Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help on New DTV Installation

Hello,

I am currently making the switch from Comcast Cable to DirecTV, but plan on keeping my Comcast Internet Service.

Today my DirecTV installer came..and gave me an estimate of $300 to do Wall Fishes, charging me per line (5 total - 4 from 5LNB dish and 1 from the International dish). He also said he would be unable to run 2nd lines to my 2 DVR's because it was too complicated. I rescheduled my installation to think this over, and after doing some research, found information about the SWM which would be a perfect workaround.

My current setup - 1 RG6 line in from outside (currently being used by Comcast) and then into a Wall switch in closet, split out to rooms in my house.

I plan to have the DirecTV receivers in 4 rooms, with DVR in 2 of them. I also want to keep my Cable internet service.

From the diagrams, I believe I am to connect the 5 lines from the 2 dishes to the SWM on the outside the house. Then connect my cable internet line to the OFF-AIR input on the SWM. Then use my one existing RG6 line to connect to the SWM1 input and then into the house. Inside connect the other end to the Power Inverter. Then use the power inverter IRD output to connect to a 1X4 splitter. Then connect my existing cable runs to the splitter.

So now my questions:

1. One of my pre-wired cables actually is split later down the line to service both the 1st floor bedroom and rec room. I want to be able to have a standard receiver in that bedroom and a HD DVR in the rec room.

How can I make this happen? Can I use a SWM approved splitter in place of the cable splitter that is currently installed down the line? Or can this pre-wired cable not be split again since it is already split in the 1x4 from the IRD? If I can split it, will the HD DVR still be able to use the dual-tuner function?

2. Will my comcast internet be able to work in this setup thru the OFF-AIR input on the SWM module? Its my understanding that I would then need to use a diplexer at the very last pt, before going into the satellite receiver and cable modem? This would be off a different line than the one mentioned in question #1. And I would only need the internet off one line, in one room. Maybe even directly in the closet where the PI and 1x4 splitter is located.

I appreciate any help and advice. Hopefully this will be able to meet all my needs without having the DTV installers charge me unnecessarily for extra lines.
    Last edited by jmuiceman; 11-19-2008, 06:45 PM.

Good work on the plan - people usually don't get that all right, but you sure did.

1 - You can split again - just get a 1x2 from us. Other splitter usually don't work since they don't get as wide of a frequency range.

2 - Right - just one diplexer should do the trick. You just install it and use the appropriate output to go to the cable modem. Customers do that routinely.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for the quick response Michael. You guys are great.

Just placed my order for the SVM and splitter/diplexer!

Comment

Working...
      X