Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching to SWM8

I am a little lost and need help.

My current set up is a slimline LNB with a Zinwell Wideband 6x8 Multi Switch. On that switch, there are the four connections from the satellite going in one side and five outputs going to five different TV's. I have off air HD Locals. Everything works great, but each DVR only has one line. I am trying to move over to SWM. I called Directv and they said I would basically have to do it myself. So, I bought the two SWM8 Package with expander and power supply from Weaknees.

I attached it to the side of the house right next to the Zinwell Multi Switch. I drilled a hole through the side of my house and ran the power cord out that came in the package to the unit. I ran coax cables from the power outputs from the expander to the Legacy 3 ports on each SWM8. I then removed the four cables from the Zinwell Multi Switch and put them into the expander. Then I moved two of the cables that I know have HD DVR's on the other end to the SWM1 ports of each SWM8 to see if I could get two of them to work before trying to split the single for the other TV's. I removed the B band converters from the receivers. I then did a red button reboot. All I get is searching for satellite??? When I go to menu, then satellite, I can see that it recognizes the SWM. I get channel 201, but nothing else.

I thought I followed the instructions exactly as I read them. Any ideas?

That really does sound right.

Are you sure you're using the right four inputs on the SWM from the satellite dish?

Have you tried shutting both units down, and only powering up one?

Have you tried using the other SWM unit?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I took each of the four wires out of the old switch and put them into the expander in the same slots they were in. I also tried only rebooting one box at a time and I tried both of the swm8 units.

What is a power inserter? I used the power cord that came with the expander unit. Is that all I need?

Any other suggestions?

Comment

If you're using a SWM expander E2, yes, you only need the power to the expander itself, and then you need an RG6 jumper cable from the E2 power to Legacy 3.

Pretty strange that you're getting nothing. Have you tried removing one SWM from the expander and rebooting it?

Comment

I will try that. When you say "remove one of the SWM's and rebooting it". Do you mean rebooting the receiver?

Comment

Ok. That actually worked. So what does that mean? Can I only use one of the SWM's?

Comment

My guess is that it was just a bad connection there.

Try powering everything down.

Make sure the SWMs are in the E2 perfectly.

Power up the E2.

Then try one receiver, and see what you get.

If good, try another on the other SWM.

Comment

Ok. I tried alot of different things and finally got everything working using only one SWM. I currently have three HD DVRs and two legacy boxes. I wanted the dual set up for future expansion. I never got the other SWM to work at all. Not with a new box or a legacy box. After playing with it, I think you are correct, it is the connection between the expander and the swms. It is not designed as a very tight connection. I am surprised it is not designed with screw-ins to make it tighter. It is just too loose.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Comment

Well, they designed them to work this way, I think because the spaces would be too tight for screw on caps.

Comment

Working...
                  X