SWM questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWM questions

Would like to install SWM but not sure how to do it.

My setup is a Slimline 5 dish with 4 lines which come into house in basement. I believe they come into some type of comcast box since I use the cable jack in each room that was here when we moved into the house (in ceiling which has been finished since). I don't believe we have a multiswitch since I only have 4 available tuners to use. I have a hr21-700 in basement with 2 tuners, another hr-21-700 in den with one tuner and a standard dvr upstairs with one tuner.

Question is if install a SWM outside, I can hook up all 4 lines off dish easily, but then what do I do. Can I install a splitter outside since I have 3 separate units I need to hook up. If I use a 1x4 splitter would this work. Also can the PI be hooked up with coax out of cable jack then connect to receiver from the PI.

Please help!

Jason

You'd put the SWM in your basement at the end of the three lines.

Then, you can plug the power inserter in there, and connect it to SWM1. You can then run a line from the output of the power inserter to one DVR and a line from SWM2 to the other DVR, or to a splitter and then to the various units.

Yes - normal coax works to get the SWM and the PI connected.

No reason to put the SWM outside if all four lines are already coming into your basement.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Problem is my basement ceiling is now finished so I can't have it run in the basement. It is now a finished basement. If i needed to, can it go outside.

Jason

Comment

Yes, the SWM itself can go outside.

Comment

Can I plug swm1 output from swm module directly to a 1x4 splitter (Outside of house) and then attach my 4 leads to the tuners to that. Does it then matter which tuner has the PI attached to.

Comment

The PI can attach in line with any tuner(s), but it must be on the red 'out' port of the splitter, if it comes after a splitter.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X