X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Customer: SWM, TiVo and HD DVR install questions

So, first some background:
    I just purchased a new house.
    The house has single Coax wires running to every room in the house which originate in the basement and terminate in the rooms with nicely installed wall boxes.

As a previous DirecTV customer, I have TWO DirecTiVo boxes. One is an DirecTV R10 with an upgraded Weaknees Hard drive and one is a Samsung model. I also have a Zinwell 4803 4x8 Powered splitter.

I recently ordered my DirecTV package with one new HD DVR box and one standard receiver.

The installation crew came yesterday when I was not at the house (my wife was there) and they were just going to drill holes in the house for every Coax run.
    My wife asked them about the SWM and they said that would work, but they didn't have one on the truck with them and would need to come back later. They also told her that the SWM doesn't work with the dual tuner TiVos...

Which sucks because we really prefer our TiVos to the DVR

Is there any configuration I could use to utilize our single wire coax cable runs AND our TiVos?

They are coming back on Saturday and I'd like to have some answers. They wouldn't discuss the DirecTiVo with us at all. My wife said when she mentioned it, they basically stopped listening to her and said that they only install/support the DVR.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by chapel; 12-10-2008, 07:49 AM.

I just realized, he might have thought we were talking about the SWM LNB and not the SWM-8

the SWM8 site says that it DOES support the DirecTiVo

Can the installer provide the SWM8 or is this something I should be buying beforehand?

What other equipment would I need?

Comment

The SWM8 does support TiVos, but only on the legacy ports, which work like traditional multiswitch ports. So you need to run one un-split line from each legacy port to each tuner input on the DirecTV TiVo. If you can only run one wire to each TiVo from the SWM8, then you can only run one tuner on each. And even if you can run two, each SWM8 only has three legacy ports . . .

Why did they want to run new coax if you already have it?
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

dunno. it was kind of annoying.

Is it possible to go from the legacy ports on the SWM8 to the Zinwell 4x8?

Comment

Not really. Technically, some of these cascades are likely possible, but in any event, you'd need four cables to go into the Zinwell, and there are only three legacy ports.

Comment

ah crap
            so, would I be able to use just ONE TiVo with the SWM8?

will they install the box where I can access it or do they put it on the roof with the dish?

Guess I might be selling my TiVos

Comment

I have no idea where they'll install it.

You could use one TiVo on the legacy ports, but it'll suck up two of the ports.

Comment

and they have to be home runs from the legacy ports, so I'll need to sling another wire upstairs if I want dual tuners upstairs.

*sigh*
                my wife will not be happy. she loves TiVo

Comment

stack legacy ports?

Is it possible to stack the legacy ports? I'm currently in a MDU that is in the midst of an upgrade to MFH2 (I assume that's what we're upgrading to). The upgrade isn't complete yet. The system still works as it always has, so far.

I currently have a HR21-700 and a DirecTiVo. There's a single wire run to each of the receivers. Only one of the tuners works on the HR21-700. However, the single line for the DirecTiVo has a 1 to 2 splitter on it and has destacker boxes on each of the split lines. This gives me two two lines: one for each of the DirecTiVo's tuners.

Once I'm upgraded to SWM, can the legacy ports be stacked so I can continue to use my destackers?

Comment

Nope - not without some equipment that's incredibly expensive, and, now, generally unavailable.

Comment

Working...
                    X