SWM Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWM Newbie

I am looking to upgrade my current multi switch to a SWM8. I have one H20-100 HD DVR and three D11-100 receivers. I have a ka/ku dish.

I have a couple of questions before I purchase the SWM.

1) My HD DVR currently has two coax lines running to it. I believe that the sat2 line has a converter attached. I would like to use both tuners as well as cable. Is this possible with SWM8?

2) Can I run sat and cable on the remaining receivers via the SWM8?

You can send cable signal over the SWM. You'll just have to split the cable signal off using a diplexer. Also, you will have to run your D11s off the legacy ports of the SWM unless you upgrade them to D12s or some other SWM-compatible equipment.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response! So if I understand correctly I will need to upgrade the D11's to D12 or above. Once I do that I can install the SWM8, run one coax into a diplexer for each receiver.

Comment

That's basically right, except it wouldn't be a diplexer, but a SWM splitter. We have them here:

http://www.weaknees.com/swm
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

So, after a long discussion with Direct tv it seems that they do not have a process where I can simply upgrade the D11 rcvrs to D12. It looks like I'm stuck with them until they break. That being said and after looking at your wiring documentation, it looks like I can use the legacy ports for my three D11's and SWM1 for my H20-100. If I understand correctly I will need a diplexer at the back of each D11 to break out the cable signal from the sat. When I get to the H20 do I still need to have feeds for SAT1 and SAT2 to support both tuners? If so, which one do Irun to the diplexer to break out the cable signal?

Thanks for your help!!

Comment

The HR20/HR21/HR22 units only need one cable for both tuners, if that cable is coming from a SWM (and not a legacy port). You can diplex the cable signal right out of that.

If you want D12s, we have them on our website.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks Michael! I'll take a look. If I choose to stick with the D11's will the diplexer still work if I feed them from the legacy ports?

Comment

You have to diplex antenna signal IN AND OUT if you use legacy ports. It isn't sent automatically, even if you use the off-air input on the SWM.

Comment

Thanks Jeff! You guys have been great.

Comment

Working...
                  X