Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SWM Kiss of death? Or incredibly bad timing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWM Kiss of death? Or incredibly bad timing?

I have a SWM-8 cascaded from a WB616, and things have worked wonderfully for many many weeks, but last week, one H20 lost signal and stopped working. [Sat-WB616-SWM8/receivers)

Thinking fast during a break in the action, I removed the coax from its port on a 1x4 splitter (from SWM1) that ran to the now "lost" receiver (H20) and plugged it into an HR21DVR that happened to be there.

- The HR21 stopped getting signal as evidenced by the searching for signal message and no recovery after a red button restart. So I reattached its ORIGINAL connection from the SWM that was working perfectly mere moments prior to my experiment, no dice. The HR21 is now unable to get signal after a reset. Getting into the "Repeat Satellite Setup" a couple of disturbing things:
    --> low/no signal on tuner 1, plenty on tuner 2
    --> the default setting is to a Multiswitch (not a SWM)

I've done my best to find a remedy on this forum, which seems complete, so I reset the WB616, the SWM, all recievers, and in order fired up the SWM, WB616, and receivers.... no changes, same signal problem.

>>>So I'm left with asking how to get the SWM line to allow the HR21 and the H20 to go back to their glorious working selves.

Thanks,Steve

BTW: I'll try ANYTHING after the conclusion of tonight Bears game, prior to that screwing with things more is just crazy talk.
    Last edited by swilson2150; 12-23-2008, 08:54 AM. Reason: Make sure you read about my mistakes, it's important.

We (and DIRECTV) strongly discourage cascading a SWM from any other switch. I'd recommend trying to connect the SWM without the WB616 and seeing if that solves your problem with the SWM...as a start. If you need more than the 8 ports long term, you should consider a 2nd (or 3rd) SWM in a SWM chassis.

Comment

My mistake on SWM v HR21 (mea culpa) but other problem remains

So, in my haste I plugged in the SWM line to Sat2... this is of course a problem.

I'm not certain why the H20 croaked, but I care so little about that right now since the HR21-100 is fine, receiving signal on BOTH tuners, etc.

For future reference:

1) if only Sat2 has single from a SWM line, you probably have the line in the wrong port [buzzer], please try again.

2) SWM-8 are worth the money still. Arguably, it's never been the cause of any problems other than me forgetting how to install it.

I'm even considering installing one in the house even though I don't need one (yet) where the WB616 is currently presiding so I'm future proofed when a 4 tuner DVR comes out.

S
      Last edited by swilson2150; 12-23-2008, 08:55 AM. Reason: H20 not HR20 (1 tuner, important)

Comment

Fixed the H20

How? Forced a software download using code 02468 on the remote as soon as the receiver starts up (after red button reset). This took a looooong time (stayed on 0% for about 2 minutes with seemingly no progress, then downloaded in about 10 minutes). I really have no idea why (I went to medical school, not engineering college), but I suspect that the H20 will NOT work with a SWM nicely unless it's got current software.

Lastly... Balvenie makes incredibly good scotch, but it does not make you a better satellite install guy, seriously.

Comment

Right - early H20s don't have SWM-compatible software on them. So you do need to force an update for those.

Over the holidays, though, I think scotch makes good sense as a precaution when doing any type of wiring (but ever better for low voltage wiring).
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
          X