Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on SWM/splitter setup

Greetings!

I've been researching the use of a SWM for my setup and I think I understand what I need but I wanted some confirmation before I pull the trigger.

I currently have a Slimline 5LNB dish and two H21-100 receivers (only one receiver is hooked up at the moment, but the second one is activated. So I have a single coax line running from the dish through the wall down to the receiver. I wanted to just run a second line from the dish to the second receiver but after crawling around in the attic I found that fishing the line would be too difficult for me. This led me to the SWM option.

(1) I believe all I'll need to accomplish this is a SWM8 and a 1X2 splitter to provide signal to the second receiver. The power inserter is included with the SWM. Is this correct?

(2) I'm assuming that I can use the existing coax cable and connect that to the SWM1 port on the SWM (since I can get to this cable in the attic), and then get four coax cables to connect the dish to the SWM to complete the hookups?

A couple of other questions:

(3) I currently receive local HD channels through DirecTV. Will I continue to receive them after installing the SWM and splitters?

(4) Where can I get the cables with the correct fittings for the four lines from the dish to the SWM? I see that you sell "patch cables" that are 6 ft or less, but I'll need something longer for the Dish-SWM lines.

Thank in advance. I'm really looking forward to getting this all set up.

1 - That's right.

2 - Also correct.

3 - Yup - no change. If they're OTA, you'll need to diplex, but if they're from the dish, you don't need to do anything.

4 - Any local electronics store should have longer runs of RG6 cable - that's the spec you need. It's standard stuff.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Great. Thanks for the responses.

Regarding the cabling, I was hoping to find cable with the proper connectors already attached. From what I understand, the run-of-the-mill coax connectors aren't recommended for use in these applications, and the proper connectors require additional tools/supplies that I'd prefer not to purchase, and I don't really want to make my own cables. Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

Comment

We really haven't seen problems with the pre-crimped cables . . .
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I received my SWM8 and splitter the other day. Very quick service!

I also ordered and received some pre-crimped cables supposedly for outdoor DSS applications, so I think I now have everything I need to install this thing.

Is it necessary to connect each satellite port on the SWM (eg 18V, 13V, etc.) to its corresponding connector on the dish, or can they be connected to any port in any order? Seems like I read somewhere that it didn't matter as long as each of the four ports was connected to the dish.

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Skarr11 View Post
            I received my SWM8 and splitter the other day. Very quick service!

I also ordered and received some pre-crimped cables supposedly for outdoor DSS applications, so I think I now have everything I need to install this thing.

Is it necessary to connect each satellite port on the SWM (eg 18V, 13V, etc.) to its corresponding connector on the dish, or can they be connected to any port in any order? Seems like I read somewhere that it didn't matter as long as each of the four ports was connected to the dish.

Thanks for all your help.
            It doesn't matter.

Comment

Great! Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
              X