Cold weather on lagacy ports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold weather on lagacy ports?

I installed a SWM8 about a month ago, using both the first port for a DirectTV DVR and one legacy port for an old HDTivo. Everything worked great until we got a cold snap about two weeks ago. The Tivo on the legacy port lost signal... there was no problem with the other DVR. I tried tightening the legacy port connection, but no go. Theweather warmed up a couple of days later and the problem went away. Now we got cold snap number two last night and the problem returned... no reliable signal on the legacy port only. Advice? Is this a known issue or is it just me?

The SWM operating temp range is -34 C to +52 C, and DIRECTV's specifications do not differentiate between ports (legacy vs SWM).

Comment

Well I am nowhere near any of those temperatures. Essentially, the SWM (legacy) dropped out at about -4 C. Maybe an issue with moisture somehow?

Comment

Is moisture getting in the ports?
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Not in any obvious way... the connection appears to be tight. When it warms up again I was thinking of trying a different legacy port.

Comment

That's a good move.

Comment

A new fact.... I found out that the legacy TV problem is restricted to a few channels... I presume that means that is limited to one satellite, but I haven't mapped out the missing channels or looked at transponder strenghts yet (a fun task for the weekend). This makes me think it's not the connections, but I don't know enough about the SWM8 to know whether or not that's a logical deduction.

Comment

So do those same channels work OK on the SWM units?

Comment

They work fine... and it got really cold last night, and now all the channels are gone.... It's supposed to warm up over the next week.... investigations continue.
                  Last edited by jfalk; 01-17-2009, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Maybe a cable is loosing its connectivity when it contracts in the cold? Or a pass-through is squeezing the cable in the extreme cold?

Comment

Working...
                    X