Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard Dish & SWM

Hi!

I ordered DirecTV SD Service the other day, and they should be out today to install it. When I called the installer to find out what dish they'd be bringing, they said a "Standard Dish" is all they knew. I figure this to be a single-sat one, since I'm only getting standard definition, not HD. My house setup will be like this: Pole mounted dish wiring running into my basement -> From the basement to the attic -> Connection then splits in the attic to all rooms. What I want to get the tech to do, (maybe throw him a tip if he can help), is to install a SWM in the basement, then SWM splitter in the attic. I want to avoid running a second line to the 2 rooms that will have DVR's.

I've been on directv's tech forums, and some people have said that SWM's won't work with the standard single sat dishes... anyone able to help me with that?

Thanks
    Mike

You really need a 5LNB to use a SWM properly, but the installer might be persuaded to install a SWM dish.

Comment

And a typical persuasion would cost how much usually?

Comment

Impossible to know. The hardware itself costs $80 more with us. Generally, though, the installation from there is easier.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Well, looks like I just bought another week... time to goto Home Depot and get some RG6 and run some lines! the installer's company just called and told me they can't make it today because their installer is going to the hospital because he got frostbite, so I had to reschedule to next Thursday

I'll be running the new lines from the attic (where I currently have the splitter) to the 2 rooms... that's the proper way right?

Comment

You'll need them in the end, and home runs are the best.

But won't the installer run those?
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X