Strange SWM-8 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange SWM-8 problem

Every few days, one of my channels (typically 301) would indicate "channel not subscribed" or something like that. One of my receivers actually suggested that there is a problem with the SWM. I can always "fix" the problem by disconnecting one of the 4 cables from the SWM to the AU9 antenna. When I disconnect the cable, the channel recovers immediately! I'd re-connect the cable and life is good for another few days. I've replaced the AU9. I've replaced the SWM. And the same problem recurs...and more strangely, the same "solution" still works. When I replaced the AU9 and SWM, I reconnected all the cables in random order, so I'd think that rules out a bad cable as well. I'm completely baffled. Anyone has an idea?

How many receivers are connected? Splitters? Length of runs?

Comment

I have 2 units connected to SWM Port 1, a HR21 and a H20 (using splitters, of course). Two other units connected to legacy ports. The strange part is I can "fix" the problem by simply disconnecting one of the 4 cables between the SWM and the antenna. As soon as the cable is disconnected, the channel returns to normal. Why should that affect anything is what baffles me.

Comment

It just happened again. While the HR-21 simply displayed channel not purchased, the H-20 actually indicated there was a cabling problem with the SWM. This time, I looked at the signal meter, and for the SWM, chan 2 and 4 had gone to zero. Not sure what that means. As before, as soon as I disconnected one of the cables between the SWM and the antenna, everything worked, and the signal meter went back to high 90's for all 9 channels.

Comment

I would recommend that you try disconnecting all receivers and then connecting one at a time. See which receiver causes the problem, or whether it happens with just one (any one) connected.

Are you using SWM-approved splitters?

Comment

Yes, I'm using approved splitters. The problem only happens once every several days. Sometimes weeks go by without any problem. So, I'm not sure I can use power one at a time method to troubleshoot.

Comment

Is the dish properly grounded?
              Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Yes. All 4 cables connected to grounding block at point of entry. Grounding block connected to the electrical panel ground rod.

Comment

...and the dish is grounded to the same ground rod...

Comment

I really don't know, at this point. Having a problem that occurs after such a long period makes troubleshooting pretty hard, unfortunately.

My suspicion is that there's some problem (interference, rusty cable, long run . . .) between the dish and the SWM. Is there anything unusual about that wiring?

Comment

I can't think of anything special about the wiring. They were installed by me about 5 years ago when the house was built. I used quality cables. Before I installed the SWM, I was using a Zinwell WB68 and everything worked perfectly. Though it is possible that SWM is more "sensitive" to whatever is causing this problem. I have recently re-examined every connection on the grounding block, and I added a grounding wire to the SWM, even though it is installed inside a wiring cabinet inside the house. No problem yet since my last post on 3/8. But, it has gone for weeks without a problem before. I agree it is very difficult to diagnose an intermittent problem.

Comment

The SWM can be more sensitive. It uses a wider range of frequencies than the old multiswitches. It can therefore also be more susceptible to interference, although we really haven't seen this problems in practice.

Comment

Working...
                        X