Understanding SWM8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding SWM8

I've been reading the docs on this site trying to wrap my brain around what the SWM8 is/does. I think it is beginning to sink in.

All the wiring diagrams say "Connect nothing to SAT2." This would seem to defeat the "record two programs at one time" feature of most DVRs -- not something I would like to give up.

Am I wrong?

TIA...

Yes, you are wrong. The single line from a SWM, connected just to sat 1, powers BOTH DVR tuners. Pretty cool....

Comment

Thanks Jeff, that does sound like magic!

Ok, so here's my background: I'm preparing to upgrade my single DTV SD TiVo system to HD.

Unfortunately, there is no HD TiVo for DTV.

I really love my TiVo, had a bad experience with an old DTV DVR (POS), and I'm prepared to hate the new DTV DVR, too.

I want to preserve my TiVo capability (not to mention the hours of recorded content on its Weaknees-provided expanded hard drive).

So the concept is to move the SD TiVo receiver to the bedroom, and install the new HD DVR in the family room. All with minimal impact on the house wiring.

I'm seeing a new 5LNB dish with a SWM8 bolted to it, driving two cables: one feeding my old TiVo, the other feeding my new DTV DVR.

How am I doing?

Comment

Nope. Not quite. You will have to have 2 lines to your TiVo and you will need a standard 5LNB dish with a separate SWM. Two lines will go from the legacy ports of the SWM to your TiVo--that unit MUST have two lines to operate. The HD DVR, on the other hand, can get two tuners from one line from the SWM.

In other words, the TiVo is not compatible with SWM technology. Please see this page for more details:

SWM Resources and Information

Comment

I'm having a bit of a problem understanding the wiring also. I currently have:

1 Slimline 5LNB dish
          1 HR21 DVR (two coax feeding currently)
          1 older HD receiver, but not DVR (one coax feeding)
          1 Series 2 TIVo which is connected to the HD receiver (I know it isn't recording in HD)

I currently have one HD TV and switch inputs depending on which DVR I want to watch. I will be moving this entire setup to an RV in coming weeks (as soon as my house sells). the RV has a single satellite TV input port for hook up to a dish. It then splits somewhere in the RV for two HD TV's (I haven't bought it yet, so I don't know the particulars of the internal coax run past the input in the basement, but one TV is in the front and one in the back. Obviously I want to use existing coax.

Questions:

1. Will I have to run 4 coax runs from the Slimline dish to the SWM8 which I will mount in the RV basement next to a power outlet and the input port for the RV?

2. One coax run will go to the HR21 and I will be able to record two channels at once?

3. What about the other HD receiver and the Series 2 Tivo? I'm not sure how it will have to be handled.

Thank you very much.

Ed

Comment

4 lines must always be run from the 5lnb to a SWM.

One coax from SWM to HR21 will power 2 tuners.

If the HD receiver is SWM compatible, you'll run 1 wire to that units as well.

Comment

Working...
            X