New to SWM8 hookup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to SWM8 hookup

I'm sure this one has been asked and answered several times, so please direct me to the answer. I am considering a SWM8 installation. I have only two cables to my great room and after upgrading to HD can no longer diplex the outside antenna signal in with the sat signals for the HD DVR. I'm interested in what equipment and what the wiring would look like for the following setup.
    1 - 5LNB dish with 4 feeds
    1 - HR23-700 HD DVR with 2 incoming lines
    1 - R15 DVR with two incoming lines
    1 - D10 RCVR with one line

I would like to add in my over-the-air antenna signal to each of the locations. The HR23 location is the challenge, since I can't run any additional cables to that room. I understand the SWM8 will handle the two HD signals to the HR23 on one cable and I can use the other exsiting cable for my OTA antenna signal, but I'm not sure about the other rooms. How many diplexers, how many splitters, etc.

See the wiring diagrams here:

SWM Wiring Diagrams and Information

SWM Wiring Diagrams and Specs

You will have to use the 3 legacy ports to feed your R15 and D10, and those lines won't carry the off-air antenna signal from the SWM. You will have to get the following:

SWM8 Switch + power supply
    1 SWM diplexer to split the antenna feed at the HR23
    4 SWM diplexers to send the antenna feed onto the lines to the R15 and the D10 (two to combine the antenna signal and two to split it off)

Comment

Another question

Can I feed two of the three legacy ports into a standard 3x8 multiswitch and drive the D10 and R15 and some open ports in other rooms from the second multiswitch? That way I could add the OTA signal in at the second multiswitch and only use diplexers at the receiver ends. I understand I still would need the SWM8 for the HR23 but since I don't have HD anywhere else, I'd use the standard multiswitch for the rest of the feeds. Does that work?

Comment

That should work, but it is not a DIRECTV-recommended, authorized or approved setup.

Comment

More info...

Not to belabor the point, but what is the risk/danger in this hookup? Is there a problem with the legacy ports and the 3x8 multiswitch fighting each other for control or is DirecTV's issue with signal degradation? As an alternative, can I use high Freq splitters on two of the four sat feeds from the 5LNB and run the the two lines only to the old 3x8 to feed all the non-HD boxes while running all 4 to the SWM8 for the HD-DVR? I assume that's not "approved" either, but are there any "technical" concerns with that arrangement? I really just want to minimize the disruption of my current wiring, provide everything my HD-DVR needs and route the standard sat signals plus OTA to all other TV locations, some with legacy receivers and some with only OTA digital receivers.

I appreciate all of your guidance and I apologize for asking so many questions.

Comment

It works GREAT!

Just wanted to let you know that the setup works great. The 4 feeds from the LNB go directly to the SWM along with the OTA from my outside antenna. HR23 is fed from SWM output via the PI and SWM 4-way splitter. Two legacy ports from the SWM are connected to the two satellite inputs on my 3x8 along with the OTA signal and then all SD satellite boxes and OTA-only TVs are fed from 3x8 ports. As I upgrade TVs to HD-sat, I simply move the appropriate feed for that TV from the 3x8 to the SWM splitter. The system also allows me, with appropriate splitters to drive FM inputs on stereos in the same location as some of the the TVs. Great product, easy setup and looks just great!

Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X